News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Changfa in a dump truck

Started by M61hops, August 11, 2010, 06:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M61hops

I was watching a TV show about roads in China and there was a segment where they showed a dump truck hauling rocks to a building site.  The camera crew rode along with the truck driver and they showed the engine a few times and it was a hopper cooled large Changfa type with a belt drive to the transmission!  The truck looked like it could haul maybe 3 to 5 tons and it seemed to move right along!  The driver was worried about the motor overheating on a long uphill grade so he opened a valve that let water into the hopper from a tank on the roof of the cab, it wasn't clear if he was just refilling the hopper or overflowing it on purpose to cool the motor.  They did say that the tired old motor struggled to maintain 9 MPH up the steep grade!  I thought the truck did very well to haul what looked like 2 yards of rock up that hill  ;D !  It was a good size truck with dual wheels on the rear; I've no idea how many speeds the transmission had or what the top speed was.  The truck did the job for sure though  ;) !                         Leland

mobile_bob

long live the mighty friggin changfa!

lmao

seriously, it is amazing what the chinese and others do with those engine's, especially in trucks
they get a hell of a lot of work done everyday using them.

9mph, is cruising right along, compared to the use of a water buffalo
and quite frankly i have had service trucks that didn't do much better pulling some of the hills around here.

my npr isuzu would barely do 15mph coming out of the auburn valley up hiway 18 on my way up to get on I-5 just north of
tacoma washington.

i had an IH stepvan back in the late 80's with a 6.9l diesel and an allison, that actually powered out trying to climb cherry street
hill out of downtown seattle one time, i actually had to stop and turn on the 4ways and wait for the traffic to clear so i could back down
the friggin hill!  it just wouldn't go an inch further up the hill in low gear.

so actually considering all, 9 mph is incredible in my opinion

bob g

vdubnut62

I think the Utterpower CD has a pic of a Ford one ton with a Changfa belted to the front double pulley of the old gutted ford V-8. Just the block and crank left, no heads or pistons. Strange looking critter, but I guess necessity is the mother of invention.
They say that apparently it will haul about 6 tons and the cruising speed is 12 mph. 
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

This Chinese unit isn't on Youtube?  What was the title or program it was on?

bob g.  Our NPRs are rated for 3 tons including bed.  Mine does just fine with 3 tons coming up the hill out of Kailua-Kona.  I'm not saying I spend much time in the fast lane but I can pull that hill in 3rd.  Put 4 tons on her and 2nd gear becomes our best friend.  5 tons and when I get home, usually the same day, I can just barely pull the driveway - 30 degrees.  I put 6 tons on her back once.  I don't have any water buffalo to help get up the driveway.  And then there's the theory of gravity.  What goes up must come down and stooooooohhelloooop!

How about one of those small $600 Cats in an already butchered MG-TC?   :o

Casey

mobile_bob

my npr was used as a service truck for several years, its gvw was 11,050 lbs, and i had it loaded to just over 14,000lbs

oh yes, i forgot about the brakes!

funny how it becomes second nature to start pumping the pedal a half mile before you need to stop, without even thinking about it.

it took me years to quit pumping the pedal on my wifes car, and my IH stepvan.

every driver that i ever knew that drove the npr trucks with drum brakes talked about the pumping thing, and how they would leave little chirp marks
when they drove their own cars on the way home at night.

those things were a pain to adjust, and they needed adjustment about every 2 wks around here.

bob g

LowGear

Has anyone found the Changfa powered dump truck yet?

Casey

Henry W

I hope it has brakes :o!!!!
I see it can pull a huge load. But can it stop?

Henry

Startomatic

i actually has a short video of this truck climbing the bridge and it actually stops in time for the stop light. i will put it on utube later today.

M61hops

Sorry guys I don't know what the name of that show was.  It was a documentary show on something to do with China that I stumbled on.  This won't be on U-tube.  The truck looked like a regular full size 5 ton dump truck, 2 axels 1 up front, 1 at the back with dual wheels in the rear and drum brakes all around, 2 wheel drive from rear axel.  In the USA this truck would have anything from a 235 cid 6 to a 454 V-8 for a motor.  There was no hood or cowel around the motor and I couldn't tell if it was made that way or not but it did have fenders for the front wheels.  If I had to guess I'd say it probably had some sheet metal covering the motor when it was new.  It looked like there was room for at least a small V-8 in the engine compartment, no idea if the Changfa came in the truck when new but it probably did?  Way cool truck that did the job if you weren't in a hurry!                Leland

LowGear

Hi Leland,

As I was reading your last post I realized that some stuff just was never new.....as a unit.  

Casey

I modified this posting.  I couldn't understand what the devil it meant?

flywheel

Example of a Changfa type powered vehicle in China.
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

veggie

WOW !!!!

Sweet ! When that guy drops the clutch I'll bet those tires smoke for a block  ;D
It probably corners well also.
The new Mustangs and Camaro's have nothing on this fellow.

On a more serious note, it really is amazing what people do with these engines.
As someone noted previously, "necessity is the mother of invention".

veggie

flywheel

Here is the marine version of the Changfa type engine
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

rcavictim

I had heard about those unlimited class drag boats on Lake Tahoe but I hadn't seen them up close before.  ;D

Quote from: flywheel on September 22, 2010, 09:36:25 PM
Here is the marine version of the Changfa type engine
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.