News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Lovson air compressor

Started by playdiesel, June 30, 2010, 07:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

yes and seeing how they remove a flywheel gib key and have the flywheel on the floor in under 60 seconds, using no specialized
puller is worth the price of admission.

bob g

Crofter

Quote from: hwew on July 01, 2010, 07:55:20 PM
There are no reeds in the Lovson air compressor. It has regular valves. :)

Regular as in the camshaft operated engine version? If there is no idler gear the camshaft doesnt turn. I can see how a weakened intake spring would allow the intake to open every down stroke but the exhaust valve would only be forced tighter against its seat when it should discharge. I would like to see a blow up of the head as it functions in compressor mode. Surely it must be discharging every up stroke.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

Henry W

No need for a camshaft to rotate in the compressor. That is why there is no idler gear installed.

From what you have written you figured out how it works.

Yes the air compressor is a 2-stroke design. Both intake and exhaust valves draw in air on the down stroke. On compression stroke the air is pushed through the check valve in the head and than air is forced to a storage tank.

Pretty simple. And also pretty simple to convert.

mobile_bob

air is drawn into the cylinder through both the intake and exhaust valve, on each down stroke, and pushed out the
checkvalve that is in place of the injector.

its a very simple conversion from air compressor back to engine, and visa versa

bob g

LowGear

Ok.  Don't think I don't get it. 

But if you're looking for an air compressor why on earth would you want those flywheels for other than a sexual thing?

Casey

Crofter

Yep, the injector body port hole should do for the discharge. I drew a blank there! Now I wonder what is done to reduce valve spring pressure so they can open on demand? The standard spring pressure would be a bit much wouldnt it?

$140. is not bad at all for the conversion kit considering it includes injector pump and injector. I though it was considerably more.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

mobile_bob

my understanding is the valve use dual springs, and inner and an outer on the engines
and only the inner on the air compressor, so you just add the outerr springs to convert to
engine use.

pretty simple really.

bob g

Crofter

Thanks Bob; slowly getting the picture! Now since the governor is not turning what governor springs are referred to? And the flywheel key? Is there some manner of centrifugal unloader and mechanical pressure regulator?

Wouldnt it be neat to see a matched pair set up, one as engine driving the other as a compressor.

I think the driving engine would appreciate the flywheels on the compressor not just for sex appeal.

Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

Horsepoor

Has anyone built or operated a listeroid air compressor on the 6/1 platform? I'd be interested in knowing what speed you're operating at (I.e. RPM) and what you find to be a reasoable HP rating to drive it. Reading the LOVSON specifications, they recommend a 10 HP prime mover. I wonder if a listeroid 6/1 diesel running at 650 RPM might turn a listeroid air compressor running at say 400 RPM. I suspect that anything less than 400 RPM would not provide sufficient splash lubrication even with the piston oil pump.

I can see the value is having a long life air compressor with an existing shelf full of parts. Like make listeroid owners, I've accumlated my fair share of spares. OK, web surfing I can buy a Harbor Freight & Tool two stage air compressor for around $600 but I do not have a shelf full of parts nor experience with the compressor for the rebuild. Thinking about it, I really wonder how well a listeroid air compressor driven via an existing listeroid diesel might preform. Who has built one or knows of someone who has?

Zero_G

Has anyone actually checked into the feasibility of getting some of these to the USA? Maybe we could get together enough buyers to make a container load. I would take 3 or 4 myself. Is there any other interest?

vdubnut62

Lots of interest. ;D
Little cash. :'(
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

BioHazard

If ten can be bought for the earlier quoted price, I would be interested in arranging some sort of group buy, to my nearest port in Portland, OR. Is there enough interest to bring ten of these things into the country? I'll take two. They would be significantly cheaper than what Central Maine wants. I might be willing to take on a small inventory of parts and a few spare engines to further reduce the price per unit.

Seems to be a good EPA loophole for now...but how long will it last?
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

deeiche

rm /

Zero_G

Thanks for that info, deeiche. Do you want in on the group buy? It looks like $1580 delivered to the west coast. I just inquired about 10 sets, so we'll see if there is any quantity discount. Of course, the shipping per unit ought to be less, too.

I will commit to 2 units.
Injin man is in for 1 unit.
BioHazard is in for 1 unit.

If anyone wants to tentatively commit, post here.

vdubnut62

You fellows do realize that unloading, warehousing and loading fees plus duties and customs inspection fees are going to be added to this?The teamsters will be involved, unfortunately. below is an email I received last year when I did a little research. This was for Charleston SC.( much closer to me.)
Ron

Our charges, based on our conversation,
single entry bond (minimum) $45.00, customs clearance $150.00, import taxes on engine parts (based on value of cargo) ?, In & out fee at de-consolidation warehouse (estimated $3.25 per 100 lbs).

Ask your supplier in India to issue "Express Bills of Lading or Waybills" , if they do this they can simpley e-mail or fax us the documents.
If they issue "original bills of lading", then they will have to courier the originals to the USA and we will in turn have to courier the originals to the S.S. line to claim the cargo.

The documents we need to clear customs we will need a commerical invoice / packing slip and ocean bill of lading.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

David Holst
Access Worldwide
Customs Brokers & Freight Forwarders
5264B International Blvd., Suite 210
North Charleston, S.C. 29418
Phone: 843/724.3434
Fax: 843/724.3435
Email- dholst@access-worldwide.com
www.access-worldwide.com
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous