News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Lovson air compressor

Started by playdiesel, June 30, 2010, 07:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

Yeah, there's a bunch of other crap you have to deal with when the box lands...I've dealt with that a few times before. (and learned the hard way) The shipping cost turns into peanuts per unit though. The local shipment within the US to it's final home will probably cost more.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

dieselgman

Did you know that Hamworthy made a nice little air-compressor out of a 2 cylinder Lister? They basically set up one cylinder to power the thing on diesel and the second cylinder for compressing air. This has been proven technology in marine applications for decades. Compressed air starting has long been common in many marine propulsion engines. I have a few of the Hamworthy/Listers around in our stocks and might play a bit with this to see how much modification was actually done to make this work. Anyone interested?

dieselgman

gsj@gci.net
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

BioHazard

Quote from: dieselgman on January 22, 2011, 09:10:19 PM
Did you know that Hamworthy made a nice little air-compressor out of a 2 cylinder Lister? They basically set up one cylinder to power the thing on diesel and the second cylinder for compressing air. This has been proven technology in marine applications for decades. Compressed air starting has long been common in many marine propulsion engines. I have a few of the Hamworthy/Listers around in our stocks and might play a bit with this to see how much modification was actually done to make this work. Anyone interested?

dieselgman

gsj@gci.net

It's interesting you say that, I was just thinking about a twin lister engine/air compressor earlier today. I know it's relatively common with some gas engines but I've never seen a diesel. I would be definately curious how they were "officially" converted...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

dieselgman

Yep, I thought them fairly interesting. We buy up old Lister originals from the ship-breakers in India, sometimes get some pretty good stuff. I will be checking these out and will try and post some pictures and details once we get into those units. They are based on the venerable ST2 diesel - same exact footprint, horsepower equal to a single at 1200 rpm.

dieselgman

Diesel Electric

deeiche

rm /

dieselgman

Those guys can be pretty difficult to work with, we usually flash a lot of cash and have our local guys pushing through the usual layers of intermediate people involved. Most deals are spur of the moment kinds of things. It is possible to buy some pretty nice equipment there, especially off of the lifeboats and that tends to be the best equipment they have available.

dieselgman
Diesel Electric

deeiche

rm /

dieselgman

How recent? If the STW units were on lifeboats, we could be interested. Otherwise they can be ruined from the inside because of corrosion - sea-water cooling can be brutal over time.

Dieselgman
Diesel Electric

deeiche

rm /

lowspeedlife

W should mean water cooled, not air cooled.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

dieselgman

Right, the W designation in any of the Lister model numbers usually means water cooled. The STW uses the same block/pistons/displacement as the air-cooled counterpart but has a water jacket around the jugs and heads as well as water pump and sometimes a water-cooled exhaust manifold.

Dieselgman
Diesel Electric

deeiche

rm /

oiler

[/quote]
I was looking at BUKH DV20 and DV29 2 cylinder life boat engines from the Indian ship-breakers.  I realize they were sea water cooled, but because they were life boat engines they spent little time in water.  The prices I was quoted were pretty high, probably because I was looking at only a couple.
[/quote]

The BUKH diesel is a pretty expensive engine as new. On the other hand they are allmost impossible to kill.
http://www.bukh.dk/

In the 50's and 60's Bukh also manufactured a range of different tractors from ranging fron a two cyl 30hp to a 90hp six cyl. Perhaps you could find a tracktor engine instead.

Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

deeiche

rm /

oiler

I forgot to mention, that the Bukh diesel i manufactured by Callesen Diesel, Who also is a manufacturer of medium sized ship engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acZ6WIicVKI
Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1