I have an opportunity to buy an SR2, please help identify and value

Started by Jedon, October 01, 2009, 09:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedon

Model: 12BS649
Serial# B215SR2A21 ( so that's a 1971 2 cylinder anticlockwise? )
Lima 4.5KW generator serial # ABL3L6L2ZMG or something like that, L's might be 1's
Part# 3249A-1234

It's been fixed up, the generator bearing replaces, fuel injectors cleaned, valve job, oil changed.

I have a Metro 6/1 I'm getting set up, would this generator be a good backup with it's autostart hooked to my inverters? I'm off grid with 16 Trojan L-16H's hooked to 2 Xantrex 5548's. Right now I'm running off a 6500W gas genset that is loud,sucking gas, and only holds 55Hz now.

Guy wants $1000 for it.
Thanks!!!

Henry W

TimSR2

I paid CDN500 for a running SR2, then another 300 in parts to get it governed right and sorted out. Then another couple hundred to build a frame and adapt it to my gen head. For $1000 a turn key 1800 rpm set sounds pretty good to me. That is probably the most neglect proof genset you could own.

Of course there is always the longevity issue. They only last 10,000 hours between major service, and you can expect only a 30 to 40,000 hours total service life. Don't make em like they used to.

Regards,

TimSR2

mobile_bob

if you are in the market for a genset, and you have the money to buy it, then i would
have had it bought by now if i were you.

its so easy to wrap up 3-5 times that price building something up
and this one is ready to go.

i would say if it runs and produces power as it should, its a no brainer to me.

bob g

rcavictim

I agree with Bob.  It is easy to spend a lot more getting the details sorted out before something you got for a deal becomes useable.  I spent upwards of $500 on plumbing fittings and oil filters alone in my DIY VW diesel engine powered generator plant project. The video of this unit starting up was impressive.  It got to a smooth regulated speed quickly and sounded good!  Best part for you is apparently you don't have to spend another $500 shipping it from another state to acquire it.  I almost bought one of these on ebay years ago for $1500. Then there was the shipping cost to Canada.  Sometimes I still wish I had gone through with it.  IMO for a grand, this is a worthwhile investment if it will do what you need.

I suspect this unit came out of a road maintenance lighting trailer.  They frequently employ four 1kW light pots.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

SHIPCHIEF

I have one, It's a little different, a US Dept of transportation contract, 1975.
I saw it in a Craigslist ad and bought it the next day. Don't regret it.  ;D

lowspeedlife

Well its got a Lima generator end on it & you can't go wrong with one of them. If it's 12 wire it would be reconnectable for 480 volts & that would be a plus as far as i'm concerned, but i can't read the data plate in the pictures. If it runs well & puts out I'd be willing to buy it. Offer him $900.00 cash & see what he says.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

mobile_bob

the way the economy is, he would probably not turn down $750 in cash.

in any event i don't see how you could go very wrong at a grand myself
that is if you have a need to what it is capable of supplying.

a while back the state of washington GSA had three 12v149 engines on ebay
that sold for about 5 grand each, great deal for running take outs if you had a need
for about 1000hp or so.

i remember a time when they would have brought 50k each as cores!

oh but yes, wouldn't one of those make such sweet music out in the garage?
:)

bob g

Jedon

I think it is a 12 wire, what could I do with 480V?
I got him down to $900 but the wife wants 400W of PV panels instead.

mobile_bob

tell her solar panels are fine, but you need a controller and a battery bank to get full useage out of em

and it will be dark at night without them

bob g

rcavictim

Quote from: mobile_bob on October 05, 2009, 09:43:11 PM
tell her solar panels are fine, but you need a controller and a battery bank to get full useage out of em

and it will be dark at night without them

bob g

That's a great logical argument Bob!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Jedon

I already have 16 trojan l16h's hooked to two xantrex 5548's and have already told her we would need a $500 charge controller.
Speaking of that, do I need MPPT for hydro?

lowspeedlife

Quote from: Jedon on October 05, 2009, 08:07:17 PM
I think it is a 12 wire, what could I do with 480V?
I got him down to $900 but the wife wants 400W of PV panels instead.

Not much if you don't have a large lathe or mill, or other industrial equiptment.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

SHIPCHIEF

Mine has a  Lima 'reconnectable', 12KVA, 10 Kw 120/240 1 phase. The powerplant Data plate has a 6.5 Kw rating.
The Lima 12 wire is tops for flexibilty. 120/240 single phase, 208 three phase, which is frequently used on work boats. And 480 three phase.
The 208 3 phase (Y) means the three separate legs are 120 to neutral for the wall plug, yet 3 phase motors like pumps and fans can also be used. Very flexible. Some 240 volt single phase appliances are also placarded for 208 which would be leg-to-leg.
The alternator actually has a higher Kw output as a 3 phase, but I'm not sure if that means it's because of more efficiency?