News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

luckey find

Started by potter, May 14, 2010, 08:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potter

Here are a few pics of my latest find. I was told if I could move it I could have it.One hour later it had been moved 250 ft by hand by myself and two helpers to the fence line.Pickup in the am by backhoe. ;D

Curbie

Potter,

Nice score, I was just talking (on-line) with a guy that just got a 18 HP (@1800 rpm) SR3 built in 1972, with a 10 KW Lima generator from a metal scrap-yard for scrap metal price. It seems like good deals can still be had on these if you keep your eyes open.

How do you go about remove the rust on something like this electrolysis, chemical remove, mechanical, or ???

Curbie

rcavictim

Egg selente!  For rust removal I'd use my sandblaster to clean that before I tore it apart.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

AdeV

To quote Brian's cell mate from Life of Brian: "You lucky, lucky bastard!" (link NSFW)

A complete Lister VA air-cooled SOM, free for the taking....

Have you done the lottery this weekend? Hmm, can you pick me 6 numbers between 1 & 49 please? Ta  ;D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

potter

It looks a lot better than it shows in the pictures (they seem to show twice the rust). Flywheels would not move at first but by the time I had moved it it was rolling completely over seems only the ip and oil pump are stuck should be an easy rebuild compared to my CS. No fancy tools here steel brush and elbow grease for rust removal  ;D.

potter

Chris

another VA gets a new home. Potter where did you find it? Mine is still working.

Chris
Schooner Bay
Abaco

Bottleveg

Well done. A 7.5HP VA. I've got one up for sale at the moment. If you need any pics of 'what should be where' then let me know.
                                          Mark.

Rom

Fantastic!

Another saved from the Chinese Smelting Pot!! I got one from Marsh Harbour on Wednesday, no generator head and frozen, but it will run again. Nice cast generator mount aswell.

Still need a gib puller Potter? I can run it over anytime you like.

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

Chris

Potter, Rom well done.
Rom did you ever place an India parts order?

Any luck with VA cylinder liners?

Still wanting crank and sleave bearings

Chris

Rom

Hey Chris,

Just sent you a PM.

I have not placed the order while I was figuring out the deal on the Barrels. Seems at this time we can have them put liners in the barrels in the States cheaper from the research I have done.

I will be placing the order for the new shipment of parts in the next few days. Just need to make a LARGE order to offset the thousand bucks they want for shipping this time. After reading about Jens' failure with his twin, I thing I shall be getting a spare twin TRB crank for myself for a start!

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

potter

Thanks ROM I will take you up on your offer when Iget it home and reddy to strip.A few shots of my CS before and after.

potter

Bottleveg

I have an observation. All the 8/1's, I have seen, drive the genny from the right hand side where as the VA's drive from the left. Are the windings wired differently due to the genny spinning the opposite way?

Chris

Bottleveg,

The original generators that I worked on VA, 8/1 had what I called the fat boy model and the skinny type. The internals between the two were differt but the parts lists and operator's manuals (Generators)for the two (VA, 8/1)where the same I am reasonably sure that the generators could be run in either direction. Come to think of it, in one set up there where two 8/1's side by side with a 3ft or so space between them. Both engines exhausting out the back. One engine had the flywheels switched so that the fan belt would not be faceing the space between and the operator.

I think my explaination above is as clear as mud or the Gulf. Boy what a mess that is.

Rom

Yea,

I must say its rather amusing to have it recommended to have the belts away from the operator, yet the VA was designed to have the belts on the operator side.

Musta been a victim of the Labour government of Great Britain. Do nothing and get paid for it. The real engineering from before the Great Wars was washed away, so they must have just bodged that engine together over a weekend.

Rom