News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

luckey find

Started by potter, May 14, 2010, 08:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottleveg

Hi Chris,
           I'm very new to Listers so still learning. I notice that the early 4.5 genny's didn't have the transformer in the end and I guess this is what you call the 'fat boy'.
I understand that the 'skinny type' came in around 1960.
My 8/1 and VA both have the 'skinny type'. Both look identical but the VA's is plated 4.25KVA. Is suspect the 4.25 are a 4.5 but plated to suit the VA, but I'm not sure?
It's interesting you think they could generate from either direction, My 4.5 has a direction arrow but I can't see one on the 4.25.
I originally bought the VA as a spare parts donor but it's like new so seems a shame to break it. Having said that, it would probably cost me more to buy the spare parts than the VA is worth. Here's a pic of the control box-

I guess if the gennys are the same then I could swap them whilst I rebuild the old one.

Rom

Thats a pretty unit you have there Bottleveg.
I have never seen the inside of a box in that kinda shape, normally they are rotted out around here.
What is the problem with the head on your system?

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

Apogee

Bottleveg,

Since the control boxes are often rotted out, it would be great if you'd be willing to take several really good closeups of the schematic and the guts of the control box so others on here have it for reference.

Just an idea....

Thanks,

Steve

Chris

You should be able to run the generator backwards. Check the brushes esp. on the DC side,they may need to be reseated. Also the starter side of the gen will probably need to be changes around some how or it will try to start the engine in the wrong direction. I don't know what or how to make the changes. Will this effect the control panel wiring? Nice control panel WITH wiring diagram a big plus.

Good luck

Chris

Chris

Ditto on photos of the diagram.
Chris

Chris

You should be able to run the generator backwards. Check the brushes esp. on the DC side,they may need to be reseated. Also the starter side of the gen will probably need to be changes around some how or it will try to start the engine in the wrong direction. I don't know what or how to make the changes. Will this effect the control panel wiring? Nice control panel WITH wiring diagram a big plus.

Good luck

Chris

Bottleveg

I am happy to post up pics of the diagram but it's all here-
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lister_CSOG/
If you join and go into files you will find the 4.5 manuals.
If anyone wants pics of anything else on the engine then let me know, I'm happy to help.
Ron, there's nothing wrong with the gen head I have, it works well, but it was made in 1962 and has been used as an off grid power source where as my VA is a 1970 and only used for emergency back up power, that's why it still looks new. It makes sense, to me anyway, to use all the 'new' electrics on my 8/1 and sell off the VA parts that I don't need. I guess it would cost me £300 if I needed a rewind on my old unit at some point and god knows how much the other parts would cost now, if they are still available.
Chris, I will take the covers off both gennys, when I get chance, and see if I can spot the wiring changes.
Here's a couple more pics-
                           Mark.

Chris

Mark, The arrow may be to show you which way the starter portion turns when energised.

LowGear

Oops!  Wrong Thread.

Casey

Bottleveg

Hi Chris, I think you are right, I have also found a direction arrow on the 4.25. (My eye-sight is not what it used to be!). So yes, the direction for starting is probably the important factor that the arrow is indicating.

Apogee

Thanks Mark for the link and the additional pics.

What a score!!!

Regards,

Steve

Bottleveg

Quote from: Apogee on May 16, 2010, 01:03:28 PM
Thanks Mark for the link and the additional pics.

What a score!!!

Regards,

Steve
No problem Steve, I'm happy to help! Let me know if you (or any other member) would like any other shots.
I know what it's like having parts missing and trying to work out whats what.
                                         Mark.

potter

Well it seams tomorrow only takes two weeks to come  ;D, the favor of the lift with the backhoe finally happened late afternoon yesterday. At 8 am this morning I had a look and at 9:30 she was running on the first power stroke. I only had to free up the governor linkage and remove the ip to free up the pump bled the lines and off she went.You can see my hose gas tank full of MMO I ran it on this for the first 10 min what a wonderful product.

Chris

Hey Potter you lucky SOB. Good find. Any idea how long that VA sat before you got it and started it up? From my experience it can be years which is amazing in this salty environment.
You me and Rom need to get together for lunch sometime.

Chris

Bottleveg

That's brilliant! I'm glad you got it going so quick. It looks in much better shape on that photo. Does the salt environment rot everything over there? How is the genny looking?