News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Oil pressure switch

Started by jmw, May 19, 2010, 01:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmw

I thought it would be useful if I could change the oil pressure indicator (that strange looking thing on the rocker cover that has a red plastic bit that raises when the oil is flowing) with an oil pressure switch. Virtually every engine in production today has an oil pressure switch (except Chinese horizontals and Indian Listers, of course).
However, I'm experiencing a similar problem that I had with the glow plugs - the Chinese threads are not the same as any oil pressure switch I can find.
Can anyone help me identify an oil pressure switch that has the same thread and similar dimensions to the Chinese horizontal diesel pressure indicator?

Mark

mobile_bob

if i am not mistaken that plunger is part of the oil pressure relief system, so unless you have another one
in the system and you unless you block the drain hole you likely will have problems, also the relief oil ends  up
in the valve cover and i have no idea what it oils or if the rocker assy can do without the oil provided from the relief
port.

you might find another bango fitting and make up a longer bolt to mount the new bango on top of the oem bango
and then put your sender in the new one?

the next issue is cold starts, the oil pressure can be quite high, and might rupture your sender/switch ?

in my changfa engine's i plan on a total rework of the oil system, with a real pressure relief to limit the oil pressure
to around 60 psi or so, so that i can use a sender/switch without worry of rupture and also to take some of the needless
stress from the pump as well as lower the amount of hp needed to drive the pump.

i am not sure how your system is set up, some have a pressure relief mounted in the crankcase rear cover along with a filter.
if that is the case you may be ok with just another bango, or alternatively a bango with two legs, 180 degrees apart, one to attach
the feed line the other to attach the sender/switch

bob g

vdubnut62

JMW, Utterpower sells a banjo bolt that replaces the one behind the flywheel that is longer and tapped for a sending unit.
Be warned! some of the changfa types can top 125lbs of oil pressure in the right circumstances. The Utterpower CD has one documented that trashed a 300lb gauge. Wasn't a cheapo gauge either, it was a fluid filled model.

http://utterpower.com/banjo_adapter.htm

Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

jmw

George's (Utterpower) banjo bolt sounds like a good solution, but I think I would prefer to drill and tap somewhere in the crankcase. I can then chose my own oil pressure switch. The only problem is I don't know where to drill.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Mark

P.S. I'm very impressed with the casting design of these engines. There are extra bits of cast everywhere, that were put there for some well-thought-out reasons (oil filter along that pipe to the rocker cover, different types of fuel filter etc.)