Camshaft

Started by oiler, May 06, 2010, 01:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

i would rather float valves as float flywheel shrapnel

valve float is a very effective rev limiter

bob g

Crofter

Yes, for sure the grenaded flywheel would be the greater evil! I dont think you can consider valve float as a viable over speed protection though. I dont know how representative mine might be of typical Listeroid valve retainer components but they sure would not stand any amount of float without getting knocked apart. I had to grind considerable off the outside of the keepers to get them to bury beyond the half way mark into the spring cap. :o 

I am sure that the dual springs could be made much lighter or shorter though. There was no attempt to close the top and bottom coils or taper off the last half turn like we are used to seeing on any commercial engine. Brute strength and awkwardness is the rule of the day.!
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

Crofter

Jens, sounds like the "mechanic" that mechanicked your engine missed that class of oil groove theory!

My idler shaft was a light drift fit in the crankcase so no problem with it turning. You could machine a slot in the outer end of it. doubled hack saw blades in the frame...... to make a screwdriver slot to hold and reference the oil groove location while you torque the nut. It should have not tendency to turn once firmly seated against its shoulder.

If you do decide to remove and reset the cam bushings make sure you do not cause bruising that will result in localized tight spots or you risk doing more harm than good. If they are loose in the housing you may have to resort to prick punching a dimple pattern on the OD. to stabilize them.

Listeroids are an endless source of fun and surprises!
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

oiler

Yesterday i recieved two sets of genuine Lister valve springs for the 6/1.

They are much easier compressed than the listeoid ones.
Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

RogerAS

Quote from: oiler on October 19, 2010, 12:23:23 AM

Is it possible that the added valve train tension caused by too resistive springs is causing upstream problems?

At the speed these engines run I can't imagine them needed a really aggressive spring.

R

XYZER

Quote from: RogerAS on November 17, 2010, 09:20:01 AM
Quote from: oiler on October 19, 2010, 12:23:23 AM

Is it possible that the added valve train tension caused by too resistive springs is causing upstream problems?

At the speed these engines run I can't imagine them needed a really aggressive spring.

R

I would bet the Indians use the same spring in all rpm engines.....The approriate rpm valve spring would save valve train wear and tear and serve as a rev limiter IMO. I would go with lighter components if it was an 8000 rpm engine for sure. 
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Apogee

John,

Any updates on the camshaft project?

JohnF

Haven't talked to the guy for a bit, will call him this coming week.  Last we talked he had a prototype up and running in one of his twins, said it made a big difference.

John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

rec409

ok time for an update. dont ya think??

JohnF

The last of the pieces are being shipped from India this week.  There are a couple of test units built and they are working very well.  This has been a long and difficult process, more more so by the Indians being very obstructive and only sending partial parts orders.  This final shipment is coming from JB Shaw, so I'm confident it will be good.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

dieselgman

CS camshaft timing specs... in case it hasn't been posted already.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

sarawnw

Any status updates as of late?  Thank you for all the work and time to solve this problem.

Sara

BobH

At the risk of breaching some sort of forum etiquette,  PLEASE RSVP status on this.

Thanks!!

Horsepoor

I've been holding my breath too. Anxious to see / hear the results. Thank you for investigating this rather common problem, hope a cost effective solution can be obtained. Standing by.

JohnF

I do have a few re-jigged camshafts in stock - currently 3 or each (6/1 and 12/2)  If anyone is interested please PM me - john@woodnstuff.ca.

John F
www.woodnstuff.ca