News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

The start of my project

Started by playdiesel, April 27, 2010, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

Didn't know where to post this since it kinda goes all over the place for a topic but here is the start of my home generator project(s) The 1115 on a converted boat trailer frame. Still cant tell you guys the Mfg as the only English marking says Powermart, book say Changfa Mfg but have been advised probaly not. Ordered two ST gen heads w/avrs today, a 5KW for the Listeroid in the back ground and a 15KW for the 1115 from Tom at Georgia Generator (highly reccommend him A1 guy)  Both willl be belt driven. The 1115 will be back up power for the house and prime power at our farm. The Listeroid is pure toy. Notice no headlight, I am truely dissapointed :'(

Head off the 1115 as I am doing some research for the gasket guy. Should have a pair of his head gaskets any day for testing for fit, and durability when we can load up the 15KW. The bore size kind of amazed me, it Big. Also have removed the hopper to fit a plate and 'stat and radiator per what a lot of us guys have done.

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Shipo

Nice project...I don't know if is to late, but there is a recommendation not to use those legs...they are not strong enough...

Good Luck :)
Changfa 195/10kw
Changfa 170R/3Kw
Onan 6.0DJE-3CE
Yanmar TS-105C/Winco 5.3KW

rcavictim

Shipo is right.  I just reported that one of the cast legs on my new Changfa 1115 broke during preliminary testing.  Could not stand up to the forces involved in the belt drive.

I am really impressed with the 1115 engine so far.  Has a lot of power and is a real fuel miser at the same time.

Nice project!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mobile_bob

it is my belief that those stands were only meant as a means to support the engine for transport down the assy line
and to aid in crating the engine for shipping.

they are just cast iron and not very heavy cast iron to start with, its not hard to imagine some very bad things happening
should one or both fail with the unit under full load operation.

also, as you are using square tubing for the main members and the unit will be mounted and used on the springy boat trailer
you might want to add some pipe cross members between the two main members, the use of pipe will add much rigidity
from twisting that will likely be useful if you are planning on direct drive.

bob g

vdubnut62

You beat me to it Bob, I was just wonderin if the Chinese dudes actually used the legs, or just put 'em on there to facilitate shipping.
I've got a spare set that I'm kinda tired of tripping over, if anybody wants 'em.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

playdiesel

The legs on my engine are not cast,they are fabricated steel but you are correct about them being lightly constructed, I had wondered about them,now I will replace them with shop built H-D units, thanks for that tip. Plans are for a couple adjustable stiff legs on the rear frame so it will not have to be operated on the springs. We had it running before I removed the head and it was VERY stable sitting almost motionless at the planned 1800 RPM even when sitting on the springs. However this was of course not under load. We are going the V-belt drive route for now, why? Because I have the belts and driven sheave on the shelf and need only to buy a Gen head QD bushing to complete the drive. As I posted earlier I do wonder about that generator rotor life when it is direct coupled, a concern shared by Tom, he didnt say that there had been problems, but that it was a concern. Will post more pics as it progesses.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

rcavictim

Quote from: vdubnut62 on April 28, 2010, 08:54:50 AM
You beat me to it Bob, I was just wonderin if the Chinese dudes actually used the legs, or just put 'em on there to facilitate shipping.
I've got a spare set that I'm kinda tired of tripping over, if anybody wants 'em.
Ron

Ron,

With some hardwood, paint and stain might make an attractive set of book ends.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

veggie

I have seen various agricultural equipment which use the legs on the changfa's.
I don't think they are just for transport purposes.
I do not use them on my current changfa generator, however I did not have any problems with them on previous units.

veggie

rcavictim

Playdiesel,

Your shop looks just like mine!   :o

playdiesel

Quote from: rcavictim on April 28, 2010, 03:08:51 PM
Playdiesel,

Your shop looks just like mine!   :o

Too many wants, not enough shop space. I have to move something to work on anything, get a few bucks saved up for a building and along comes another bargain<<<  :'(
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

mobile_bob

shop space?

hell you got unused floor space all over under that trailer!

:)

bob g

rl71459

Who's that guy... Smiling in the background?

He looks like he could use a better dental plan   :D

Sorry... could'nt help myself

vdubnut62

RCA they just ain't enough paint to make 'em look good. ;D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

playdiesel

Quote from: rl71459 on April 28, 2010, 05:35:40 PM
Who's that guy... Smiling in the background?

He looks like he could use a better dental plan   :D

Sorry... could'nt help myself

My daughter, when about 10 (now 26) put that on the shop fridge. I keep it on there now to embarass her, LOl
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

TimSR2

Welcome, playdiesel!

Thanks for the pics. You'll probably get tarred and feathered around here for your choice of vee belt drive (shields on!). I'm a big vee belt believer. They are cheap, dependable, easily available and proven for over a century. They also can live with misalignment and abuse, and act as a shock absorber in the drive system.

To get efficiency  from a vee belt drive system you need larger diameter pulleys than what I see in your photos.
A single  B series belt is enough for an ST5 head if the pulleys are in the ten to twelve inch range. The slip and hysteresis losses will then be very low. Small pulleys have small contact area, high foot per minute speeds and require multiple belts and high tension to prevent slip. You can get away without the expensive common backed belts if you have the right pulleys.

Regards,
Tim