The Redstone Engine & utterpower 6kw PMG

Started by flywheel, March 26, 2010, 11:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

Cast iron (freshly machined look).   Aluminum is much lighter in color.

Um, Picture of balance shaft?  This one use one working together with crankshaft instead of two balance shafts?

Cheers, Wizard

rcavictim

Wizard,

That oil system is likely there to oil the piston wrist pin bushing on the top end of the con-rod, not there to provide piston cooling.  At the low  power density this engine runs at oil cooling of the underside of the piston is not needed at all.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Wizard

rcavictim,

My question was asking about photo of balance shaft.

The other poster was asking about piston cooling and it is nice to have, this side benefit is heat up the oil as well, get most of engine heated up instead of cold spots.

Newer engines are implementing coolant/oil exchangers now to quickly heat up and maintain oil temp to keep oil from overheating, drive off moisture and traces of raw fuels and prolong between oil changes.  Also transmission fluid/coolant exchangers already in use for years.

Many times I touched the oil pan after 9 km drive, engine is HOT but oil is lukewarm and often see the mousse in the PCV during the winter, a sign oil is not hot enough.
This is carbureted 2.2L with 3 speed caravan (1987).  I'll eventually put that oil/coolant exchanger in use too. :)

Cheers, Wizard

mobile_bob

its a piston cooler

reason being, the engine is a direct injected version with an aluminum piston
that bowl gets hot and the piston crown expands more than the cast iron otherwise.

there is no need to squirt oil up under the head of the piston otherwise.

imho

bob g

flywheel

Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

flywheel

Balance shaft, there is only one in the Redstone engine.  Its not very large and weighs about seven pounds. The oil pump is driven off the end of the balance shaft.  The balance shaft ends have bearing races pressed on and the shaft is supported by two roller bearings.
                                                         flywheel

Henry W

I like the roller bearings that are being used. They should handle the stress.

Henry

vdubnut62

Wow! Those roller bearings look suspiciously like Chevrolet rear axle bearings! Look to be as heavy duty too.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

The roller bearings are nice and HD but they look like the carriers are phenolic (plastic) and I don't like the idea of trusting anything but brass (with rollers) for this application inside a hot oil environment like a crancase of an engine.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

flywheel

Quote from: rcavictim on March 30, 2010, 11:22:36 PM
The roller bearings are nice and HD but they look like the carriers are phenolic (plastic) and I don't like the idea of trusting anything but brass (with rollers) for this application inside a hot oil environment like a crancase of an engine.

The bearings are made of steel and brass, there is no plastic.  The bearings are available with steel or brass cages.

The redstone balance shaft is in the gearcase, its not in the crankcase like most other singles.
                                                                                                                               flywheel

rcavictim

Quote from: flywheel on March 31, 2010, 08:21:26 AM
Quote from: rcavictim on March 30, 2010, 11:22:36 PM

The bearings are made of steel and brass, there is no plastic.  The bearings are available with steel or brass cages.

The redstone balance shaft is in the gearcase, its not in the crankcase like most other singles.
                                                                                                                               flywheel

That's a very nice bearing!  I was looking for one like that to replace the blown small end crank bearing in my JD175A recently and all I could actually purchase in a roller was fitted with phenolic carrier.  I passed and went with a overpriced but 'allegedly' high quality ball bearing.

Wizard

Thank you for wonderful pictures, this clears up the questions I had with the Redstone engine. flywheel.

Extremely nice set up, very interesting to have balance flyweight in the gear case instead of in the cylinder/crank center-line (this is where back and forth vibration is.).
Reason said so was the balance flyweight in the gear case imparts torque vibration (wagging).  Is this reasons for packaging engineering isssues?

Cheers, Wizard

flywheel

Governor spindle, governor gear and governor. The governor is mounted on the governor gear, the gear is then mounted on the governor spindle.  The spindle is in the gearcase but the mounting bolts are located in the crankcase. There are no plastic parts on the Redstone governor, its all steel and cast iron.
                                                                                                                          flywheel

rcavictim

Quote from: flywheel on March 31, 2010, 09:09:27 PM
Governor spindle, governor gear and governor. The governor is mounted on the governor gear, the gear is then mounted on the governor spindle.  The spindle is in the gearcase but the mounting bolts are located in the crankcase. There are no plastic parts on the Redstone governor, its all steel and cast iron.
                                                                                                                          flywheel

That looks exactly like the governor in my JD175A.

oliver90owner

Flywheel,

If those big end bearings are any good there won't be so much pressure where your straw is?  Or does the crank pressure supply pass directly across it  It will likely simply be more of an oil slinger!  That is unless there is a decent sized oil-way from the pressure feed to the crank to that hole.  Is there one?  A tiny sqirt will, of course , meet the piston as the piston moves 'down' the bore.

I am wondering how much oil would leak as the feed passes by in, what, micro seconds?

Regards, RAB