The Redstone Engine & utterpower 6kw PMG

Started by flywheel, March 26, 2010, 11:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

The Redstone RS115 engine and utterpower 6kw PMG. This genset will be located outdoors in an enclosure.

The engine has already been disassembled, crankcase and other parts painted with Glyptal,  clearances checked and adjusted, reassembled and test operated.

The Redstone is rated at 22 hp @ 1500 rpm.  If anyone cares to see what the inside of the Redstone engine looks like I can post some pix.
                                                           flywheel 

Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

Henry W

WGB

Quote from: flywheel on March 26, 2010, 11:58:29 PM
The Redstone RS115 engine and utterpower 6kw PMG. This genset will be located outdoors in an enclosure.

The engine has already been disassembled, crankcase and other parts painted with Glyptal,  clearances checked and adjusted, reassembled and test operated.

The Redstone is rated at 22 hp @ 1500 rpm.  If anyone cares to see what the inside of the Redstone engine looks like I can post some pix.
                                                           flywheel 

I would love to see some inside pics!

cognos

As I rank amateur, I have a technical question.

Would it not be wrong to run a diesel capable of 22 HP/16KW with a maximum demand of only 6 KW? Is it not better for the engine  - and more efficient - to run it more loaded than that?

Just curious.

Jedon

Cognos, I'm no expert but from what I have read running a diesel at low loads causes carbon buildup and other issues.

rcavictim

Quote from: cognos on March 27, 2010, 07:03:23 PM
As I rank amateur, I have a technical question.

Would it not be wrong to run a diesel capable of 22 HP/16KW with a maximum demand of only 6 KW? Is it not better for the engine  - and more efficient - to run it more loaded than that?

Just curious.

That is true BUT I am of the understanding that if one reduces the RPM so that the max crankshaft power the engine can make is reduced and at the same time keeps the bangs hot, i.e. the engine still working hard, the issues of a cold engine will be mitigated.  This assumes that proper attention to injector timing advance and lubrication, flywheel mass, etc., are also dealt with appropriately.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

flywheel

Quote from: vdubnut62 on March 27, 2010, 10:06:11 PM
I'm Jealous!  :'(
Ron

No need to be jealous Ron, you already have a 52/2, as in John Deere 70 diesel.
                                                                                                            flywheel

Apogee

flywheel

vdubnut62

But, but, but.. uh...it won't fit in the garage.......uh.. my wife says it's too loud.......uh....I can't get a long enough serpentine belt  to go around the flywheel... yeah, yeah, that's it....uh.... long enough belt, that's the ticket...
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

flywheel

flywheel

Redstone piston, bore about 5 5/16", stroke 5 1/8", piston crown oil cooled.
                                                                                                    flywheel

flywheel

Redstone connecting rod with oil cooler.  A red straw is placed into the oil hole in the rod to show how oil under pressure is directed the piston crown for cooling.
                                                                  flywheel

veggie

Is the piston aluminum or cast iron ?

veggie