News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Fuel Pump

Started by chug, March 24, 2010, 03:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chug

Can I use a fuel pump for a 6/1 on my 3.5/1?  The manuel shows a different part #.  Mine has seen better days. 
Original Lister 3.5/1

billswan

Welcome aboard chug

Well if you have a used one to test with I would give it a try. But if you have to buy a new one I would try to find the right one as the larger 6/1 pump is sure to over fuel it. Are you repairing to use the 3.5/1  or are you just restoring?
Just to see an old antique run my guess it would work.

Beware I have never seen  3.5/1 so my advise may not be any good.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

chug

I'm restoring it to use for power.  It has the original SOM wheels.  Lookin at it you would think it was a 6/1, but the brass tag says 3.5/1.  My hunch was that the 6/1 fuel pump would not work.  I wasn't sure if you can adjust the flow rate back or if the injector will only let so much fuel in no mater what size pump.
Chug
Original Lister 3.5/1

billswan

Chug

What side of the pond do you live on?

Here is a link to a place in the UK that might be able to get you what you need http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Parts-unique-to-3-1-and-3.5-1-engines/. I see they have had that pump and are out now but an email or call might be worth a try.

Billswan

chug

Billswan
I'm in the states.  Thanks for the link and help.  I e-mailed them.  A fuel pump would be easy to fed x. 
When I started to disassemble the fuel pump (it was rusted up solid, I soaked it for two weeks in kerosene) a good size chunk of metal fell out.:o  My thought was if I can source a new one I'll use the old one for spare parts.  It's a CAV fuel pump.
My other thought was getting it rebuilt or a rebuilt one.  Does anybody know of a source for that?
Thanks again for the help.
Chug
Original Lister 3.5/1

billswan

Let the forum know what they say, my guess is they will be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck chug

Also am surprised you found an 3.5/1 in the states. Goes to show if you look hard enough they are out there.

Billswan

vdubnut62

A running 3.5-1 was listed  in NC in the last few months, I think it brought $600.
I'm not even close to an expert, but with proper settings, why would a 6-1 pump not work? I have a Bosch P-7100 on my dodge, they are used on much larger engines than my 5.9, just set up differently.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous