we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

H Watt

Started by Lloyd, March 14, 2010, 12:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

1. GENERAL
Turbine type:  
   Horizontal axis, upwind, variable speed direct-drive generator for grid-tied applications
Standards:  
   Designed to IEC 61400-2, wind class II, UL 1741 and IEEE 1547

2. PERFORMANCE

Rated electrical power:  
   25 kW @ 11 m/s (25 mph) wind speed
Cut-in wind speed:  
   3,0 m/s (6,7 mph)
Cut-off wind speed:  
   25 m/s (56 mph)
Operating temperatures:  
   -40°C to + 40°C (-40°F to + 104°F)

http://www.eocycle.com/59/Wind_Turbine.eocycle

That's 6kw at 6 mph wind speed sustained...Now that's potential power.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

mobile_bob

i am coming up with 6kwatt at 6.x meters per second not 6.7 mph

i don't think it will do much better than a kwatt at 6.7mph which is 3m/sec

most of these windgens are rated at 28mph windspeed, this one is rated at 25mph, but
there is just about no where on the planet that gets an average windspeed much over half of that speed

for instance dodge city kansas has ~13.5mph average windspeed, or about half of the rated speed of this windgen

there are two laws you have to remember with windpower, the square law and the cube law

square law dicatates that for double the diameter or swept area of the rotor, you get 4times the power
or if you half the size of the rotor you get 1/4power

cube law dicatates that if you double the wind speed you get 8 times (cubed) the power, or if you halve the windspeed
you get 1/8 the power.

so in this example the law we are concerned with is the cube law
if the machine is rated at 25kwatts at 25mph, then
at 12.5mph it will put out 1/8 its rating or about 3kwatts,

a further cut in windspeed to one half that or 6.25mph, will result in 1/8 of 3kwatts
or about 375watts or so

my bet is this machine is good for about 2kwatts in most locations that have decent wind resources
and a good part of the time it will be producing far less than that.

bob g