News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

what are you working on? progress report?

Started by mobile_bob, February 28, 2010, 10:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

i know there are any here working on all sorts of projects, so how about a progress report?

we have many members that lurk, so step up and tell us what your working on?
or are planning?

we all learn from each other, and it is always nice to see whats happening in various shops all
over the planet.

ok, i will lead off with my current project

today i am going to run another battery of tests of the modified alternator running at 99votls ac 3phase 500hz
this test will be the transmission of power 100ft on 14/3 wire, with the goal being to get 90amps at 14.4 volts dc at the other
end at higher efficiency than if i were to go directly to the battery from the alternator using 4/0cable

then i will change the stator back again and return to the project X 48volt nominal high output high efficiency alternator testing
in an effort to build on the white paper.

that is after i do a little housekeeping out in the shop, it is terrible out there.

so how about a little show and tell???

:)

bob g

rcavictim

That sounds like a useful plan Bob.  If you get it to work George Westinghouse will probably be interested.  If he offers you 'a dollar a horsepower', hold him to it!  :D

Me?  I've been thinking about a Sinusoidal ding alarm using four hydrocoptic marselvanes in a semi bolite plenum to avoid side fumbling.....   This so I will know when someone is at my door.  :)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mobile_bob

its good to see you have mastered the turbo encabulator and moved on to more lucrative pursuits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o

bob g

rcavictim

Quote from: mobile_bob on February 28, 2010, 11:04:50 AM
its good to see you have mastered the turbo encabulator and moved on to more lucrative pursuits

bob g

Actually my version was inspired by this Rockwell Automation product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w&feature=related
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rcavictim

Quote from: rcavictim on February 28, 2010, 11:23:16 AM
Quote from: mobile_bob on February 28, 2010, 11:04:50 AM

bob g

Actually my version was inspired by this Rockwell Automation product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w&feature=related

Oh, that reminds me, as soon as the snow melts off my driveway I have to take my Lotus-o-Deltoid to the car wash.

mobile_bob

here is a creative use of a fairbanks morse and a few bits and pieces laying around

bob g

mobile_bob

AdeV

Damn, I've been doing really mediocre stuff compared to the exciting things you two are up to  ::)

See: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2726.0

and also: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2729.0

I don't think I've had this much fun since I was about 12 years old. I'm surprised it's not illegal yet...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

DaveW

Just in case you were serious in asking, (hard to tell from here) I thought I'd post an update.  Finally today finished my chores and have the Houston house on the market, sign in the yard and everything.  Now I can go back to the ranch and have fun for the rest of the winter.  

My bubba during his summer fishing trips collects old Lincoln SA 200 and SA 250 welders for the winter months.  When it is too cold to sit near a large body of water he rebuilds them. He currently has two with wiring troubles, one a back panel and meter rewire, the other a rewind.  Since he does not do electric, I get to help.

The other little job he picked up for me from a mutual friend, who found it at a farm sale 30 years ago or so.  He said since I like old iron and he won't ever get to it then I should give it a try.  This is a 1934 Hercules 4 cylinder 12 HP new in the crate, never been run.  It was a military replacement that was not installed.  I hope gasket sets are still available for the old thing, and whatever else may be needed to give it a spin. I haven't seen it yet, but I will be back in west Texas before the week is out.  If there is any interest I will try to post a picture or two when I get there.

mobile_bob

yes Dave, please post some pics

not everyday one gets to see an NOS engine from the early 30's

bob g

d34

I registered Feb. 10th and have been reading ALOT on here.  Total time logged in is over 11 hours now.  I have purchased a few things off of a few other sites (dont know if I can mention them here).  The things I have are not installed yet, just gathering for the future.  Both purchases were from individuals that are somewhat local (within 350 miles lol).  I 1st purchased a listeroid, it is a gm90 with a 5kw st head.  The second purchase was 1715 watts in panels, outback gvfx3648, outback fx3048t, mate, mx60, trimetric, this came with 2 battery banks 1st is 120 12v 27ah sla, 2nd is an old phone company set that is 660ah for 8 hour.  I have been reading alot of the posts about using the st head to charge directly without hooking it up to the inverters.  Lots of great info on here, THANKS! 
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

rcavictim

Quote from: mobile_bob on February 28, 2010, 04:33:42 PM
here is a creative use of a fairbanks morse and a few bits and pieces laying around

bob g

This photo (Post #5 900cow.jpg) looks like an album cover for Creedance Clearwater Revival that never was.

rcavictim

Since I finally was able to purchase a 3-phase gen head for my big Changfa engine I can now proceed with the building of a power plant to become a standby/prime replacement for my mighty 1.5L VW Rabbit diesel plant.  I've put several years now on the VW and would be lost without it as it supplies 3-phase for my shop machinery as well as heat for the shop when I'm out there working in the wintertime.

The picture shows the Changfa belted up to one of the two identical 24k STC heads that I recently purchased from Tom Osborne in a test only arrangement on a couple of large I-beams that I am fortunate to have.  I have now tested both generators and they are 100%.  At first I was plagued by improper pulley sizes and belt slippage but since I put massive 9" diameter shieves on both the generator and engine I can make 10 kW with just the two B-belts I have.  Today I placed an order for a common back four B-belt belt.  A direct drive would have been cheaper but because the space this plant has to go is cramped I have to make the genset a double decker with the gen head located immediately above the engine.

Last week I manufactured an adapter that bolts to the Changfa flywheel and provides a 2" solid keyed shaft.  The original 6" diameter four B-belt pulley that came with the Changfa will not be used.  The larger diameter pulleys will make the belt drive more efficient.  Now to draw up a layout and figure what steel I need to buy.

rcavictim

My bad assed quad B-belt came in today and I have installed it on my test setup.  Looks serious!  8)  No way this is gonna slip.  Those pulleys are 9" diameter.  I still have room for two more B-belts on the Changfa side, just in case I want to run an accessory.  That is a 6 groove pulley that I already had and just sandblasted it to clean it up and paint it.  The 4 grove job on the STC head is new brand.  You don't want to know what that costs in Canada.  That belt was $150.00 with taxes.  Hardware costs for the DIY'er truly are both rediculous and prohibitive these days.   >:(

mobile_bob

i won't tell you what i gave for my banded belts

ok, yes i will

i got them from boeing surplus before the closed down operations here in seattle,

50cent each!  made no difference if it was a sewing machine belt or a 6 rib B section 120" long ( yes i got one of those too for kicks)

when you see browning industrial belts going for that price, you grab them!

man i miss boeing surplus!

bob g