News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Georgia Generator AVR installed on my ST-5 - 6/1

Started by Jedon, February 13, 2010, 04:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceM

RCAVictim,
Of course, you have o'scopes,  I remember you were also high end tube audio system designer as well. Sorry about that!

rcavictim

Quote from: BruceM on February 15, 2010, 02:18:06 PM
RCAVictim,
Of course, you have o'scopes,  I remember you were also high end tube audio system designer as well. Sorry about that!

Ahhh tubes.  I am enjoying them as I write this post.  Warm, friendly spiritually relaxing glow and awesome sound.  On topic content...they are a good supplementary home heat source in the cold winter!  ;)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

rcavictim- Dude, them's some seriously scary sparks!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Horsepoor

I also bought a standard AVR replacement from Tom (Central Georgia Generator) and the $10 more enhanced version. I installed the more expensive one which runs well. Recently while web surfing I came across references to this unit which will probably be my next purchase as soon as one of my existing AVRs dies.

http://www.kutai.com.tw/pdf/generator-automatic-voltage-regulator/ea16-manual-en.pdf   

WGB

Quote from: BruceM on February 14, 2010, 11:23:05 AM

Tom is very personable, and is offering them at what I think is a bargain price.  Perhaps someone will do some real tests with both wiring configurations (harmonic vs 120VAC) and give them a review.  Tom offered to give me a unit for this, but I had to turn him down due to health problems.  Maybe Ronmar or someone else with good technical knowledge would give it a whirl?

Hi Bruce,
  I have one of Tom's AVR that I'm getting ready to wire up now.
I would love to experiment with different configurations with your tutelage!
Remember I tend to be thick as a brick sometimes!
I do have a oscilloscope and have pics of the ST on the scope as it was running with a western still bridge.
I have two diagrams from Tom, I'll try to get them posted.
Thanks
Bill

rcavictim

I had reported elsewhere that the 3-phase STC-24, I got from Georgia Generator with built-in AVR makes very nice low distortion sinewaves  but just noticed I should also report this fact here.  This is on the harmonix excitation as supplied, not by using external AC source for the AVR.  I am very please with my purchase.  Brand was Hopow and my pair came with sealed bearings. 

Photo shows one phase into a resistive lamp load.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.