News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Main sleeve bearing - china singles

Started by flywheel, February 06, 2010, 10:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

Here is a pix of what a main sleeve bearing in a china single may look like.
                                                                                                    flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

rcavictim

For comparison here is what the bearing setup on my JD175A looks like.  I recently discovered the smal bearing had blown up and took this picture with the bad bearing still in place. I now have it all back together with an expensive, high quality Japanese ball bearing unit.

BTW I now believe the reason the original bearing failed was injector timing was set way too advanced from the factory.  I just added a 0.032" copper spacer shim in series with the original gasket also in place between the injection pump and the ouside of the block. The engine runs much smoother sounding at 1400 RPM and no longer has a metallic snap that I could feel on the actual outside of the block before at the rear area of the timng cover where the outer race of this bearing is located.  I have not determined how much retardation that spacer gave me or where in actual degrees before TDC this is now firing.  Must make effort to measure this!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

Quote from: flywheel on February 06, 2010, 10:52:10 PM
                                                                                                   flywheel

Differant bearings have been used in S195 engines. The spare S195 engine I have has the bearing you took a picture of on the flywheel end. I am not sure about the gearcase end.

The S195 I have in service has the bearing I posted below on both ends of the crank. This is a damaged spare bearing that was loose rolling around in the crate when I opened it for the first time. ::)

Henry

rl71459

"I have not determined how much retardation that spacer gave me"

I am really! resisting temptation.... ;D

rcavictim

Quote from: rl71459 on February 07, 2010, 09:17:11 AM
"I have not determined how much retardation that spacer gave me"

I am really! resisting temptation.... ;D

Um, er, a well...

The added spacer now allows oil vapor from the crankcase to vent out of the gap every time the piston goes in downstroke.  The spacer is a temporary thing I fitted without removing the injection pump.  While I was test running the engine I was unavoidably breathing the crankcase vapors.  Apparently it gave me a degree or more of retardation.  ???  I hope the effect which you just proved must be real, is not long lasting.

Smart ass!  ;)  :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

flywheel

Flywheel is that a picture of a new bearing? Or is it one that was removed from an engine.

Henry

flywheel

Quote from: hwew on February 07, 2010, 09:40:23 AM
                                                                                                   flywheel

Flywheel is that a picture of a new bearing? Or is it one that was removed from an engine.

Henry

This is a used bearing, pix taken just after it was removed from my redstone engine. There are differences in sleeve bearings, thats why I said its what a sleeve bearing may look like.  Mine has the oil groove on the od and yours has the groove on the id of the bearing. 

flywheel

flywheel

Quote from: hwew on February 07, 2010, 08:56:30 AM
                                                                                                   flywheel

Differant bearings have been used in S195 engines. The spare S195 engine I have has the bearing you took a picture of on the flywheel end. I am not sure about the gearcase end.

The S195 I have in service has the bearing I posted below on both ends of the crank. This is a damaged spare bearing that was loose rolling around in the crate when I opened it for the first time. ::)

They don't package their spare parts very well, most just left to rattle against the tools and other items in the parts kits.
The only spare parts kit I have that was packaged well was in my 1100 engine, the spare bearings, valves, springs etc came in a seperate styrofoam formed case.
                                                                 flywheel
Henry