News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

SUCCESS !!!!

Started by bschwartz, January 06, 2010, 10:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bschwartz

I successfully found another material that was a bad choice!!!!  ???

I was using clear braided vinyl tubing between my fuel selector valves, and my injection pump (metro 6/1).
The idea was that I could see when one fuel was purged from the system after switching fuels.
Well, when I went to shut down for the night, I found fuel (veg oil) squirting from the 3" clear section of line.   :o Apparently my injection pump sends pulses of pressure backwards towards the fuel source.  The clear line developed a hole, and ruptured.  About 4 gallons of veg oil sprayed everywhere!!!  >:(
Once it soaks into concrete, it's there forever.  You can never get it all out, and once it polymerizes, well you might as well throw in a few bugs and call it amber.
Looks like I'll go back to regular fuel line and just wait a few minutes after switching fuels.

Well, the clear stuff lasted 570 hours before failure.  Lesson learned, don't use this stuff for diesel/WVO.
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

mobile_bob

you guys are just pikers!!

my best spill to date was a complete new 55gallon barrel of 15/40 motor oil in the back of my service van
every last friggin drop onto the floor, then much like niagara falls out the back end of the truck and all over a customers
parking lot, at about 1:00am

what an incredible mess that was

btw, the truck never had any floor squeaks again!

bob g

bschwartz

Oh, that was NOT my best spill.  That award would be the 40 gallons of 180 degree WVO I was filtering overnight when a high pressure (90 psi) line cracked.  Woke up to the empty barrel, humming of pump motor with no load, and all the oil SPRAYED across my workshop!!!  Some tools are sticky to this day.  The ceiling has permanent solidified drips of oil.  THAT was a mess.  I'd almost rather mineral oil as it doesn't dry like glue.  At least my wife took the day off and mopped up the majority of the mess.  ;D
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

mike90045

Quote from: bschwartz on January 06, 2010, 11:35:19 PM
....At least my wife took the day off and mopped up the majority of the mess.  ;D

THAT's success  ;D

veggie

Have a look at this previous thread.
I caught my (potential) leak just in time or it would have emptied 5 gallons of fuel onto the floor.
The type of hose shown in this thread may solve your problem for good.

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=268.0

veggie

veggie

Quote from: bschwartz on January 06, 2010, 11:35:19 PM
Oh, that was NOT my best spill.  That award would be the 40 gallons of 180 degree WVO I was filtering overnight when a high pressure (90 psi) line cracked.  Woke up to the empty barrel, humming of pump motor with no load, and all the oil SPRAYED across my workshop!!!  Some tools are sticky to this day.  The ceiling has permanent solidified drips of oil.  THAT was a mess.  I'd almost rather mineral oil as it doesn't dry like glue.  At least my wife took the day off and mopped up the majority of the mess.  ;D

Exact same thing happened to me. Blew a clear braided hose on the high pressure side of my WVO processor. The pump ensured that the 15 gallons of oil reached the far corners of my garage. Oil everywhere. I'm still finding sticky oil on things. The other day I moved my drill press to clean underneath and it was wet with 1yr old WVO.  >:(
I took Jen's advice and changed all the high pressure hoses to hydraulic lines with threaded connectors.

As Jen's pointed out to me when this happened....."It seems to be a 'right of passage' for us WVO users."

I think Bob may now hold the record with with the 55 gal. of oil spilled in the truck. ( that's just plain ugly!)

veggie

bschwartz

I used hydraulic hoses.  My leak was from a poorly manufactured made in china 1/4" steel pipe!!!  The threads were cut off center so there was a very thin section of sidewall.  The vibrations of the centrifuge caused it to crack.  It may be a 'passage' but it sure ain't 'rite'
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

As for fuel hose, I've found that just regular black fuel line or the blue lined stuff from the parts store for $1 a foot works fine.  I just wanted to see the fuel....... Guess I got my wish  :-\
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

BruceM

Urethane tubing also has a reasonable life with vegetable oil or biodiesel.  I've had some in service for 3 years.  It slowly turns amber, though.

bschwartz

Turning amber would kind of defeat the purpose.  As I was using it as a sight for which fuel was in the line (pale yellow, WVO - clear, diesel).  I guess if it's that important to me, I could put in a clear glass inline fuel filter.  Nahhh, I'll just deal with opaque line.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

Hey!!! Did anyone else notice?!?! I just became a full member!!!
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

BruceM

I use the urethane tubing as a sight tube, also.  When it turns amber, you have to look a bit harder, but it's still transparent, just tinted amber color.

bschwartz

The problem would be distinguishing between the subtle differences in color between the fuels.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

veggie

Quote from: bschwartz on January 07, 2010, 11:47:03 AM
Hey!!! Did anyone else notice?!?! I just became a full member!!!

Congrats ! kinda like reaching puberty isn't it. ;D
Didn't anyone tell you!!!....When you become a full member, you have to send $2.50 to each of the other full members  ;)
"rite of passage"  ;D

mike90045

Quote from: veggie on January 07, 2010, 12:53:55 PM
..When you become a full member, you have to send $2.50 to each of the other full members  ;)

Thanks for the warning  :D

I thought full member happened on "First Smoke" ?

I do direct banking, so send me your name , SSN, banking #.......  when you see me reach full member.