News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Mikes off grid project

Started by mike90045, December 10, 2009, 12:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGB

Great looking engine!
Mine came from Sam also, did he do all the modifications for you?

mbryner

Love the electric start mod!  Where did you get it!?  Who has a ring gear like that?   I want one!
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

BruceM

I agree, Mike, running wire is way easier than plumbing, but you'll sure get more water moved for your fuel with the mechanically driven pump.  Good luck on the plumbing, and keep the pipe size up so you don't add much head from it.  There are some good online calculators for that.

Best Wishes,
Bruce

WGB

Quote from: mbryner on December 28, 2009, 10:05:15 AM
Love the electric start mod!  Where did you get it!?  Who has a ring gear like that?   I want one!

I already have a call into Sam on that, I'll let everyone know.
Maybe Mike will have input and price too.

mike90045

Quote from: WGB on December 28, 2009, 10:40:34 AM
Quote from: mbryner on December 28, 2009, 10:05:15 AM

I already have a call into Sam on that, I'll let everyone know.
Maybe Mike will have input and price too.

Looks like the ring gear was painted with the same green putty as the rest of the engine was. The 12v gear was likely installed by the engine mfgr.  No charging system, but I think I'd just as soon have the battery charged off a charger from the 240 from the genset.  One flywheel has grooves cut for the serpentine belt.

I priced this out so long ago, I forgot what the 12 starter was, but it was real cheap, otherwise, I would not have gotten it. 

Only odd thing is, the ENGINE slides on the frame, to adjust the belt tension. I'd have thought the alternator would, but no slots under it's screw holes. I'll check the engine side tomorrow.

mbryner

Pardon my ignorance, but who's Sam?   The starter isn't hard to do.  It is difficult to get a ring gear like that!!   I'm willing to pay a bit for one right now if you have a supplier.

Marcus
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

rcavictim

Quote from: mbryner on December 29, 2009, 02:30:46 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but who's Sam?   The starter isn't hard to do.  It is difficult to get a ring gear like that!!   I'm willing to pay a bit for one right now if you have a supplier.

Marcus

Sam Crosby aka lobstamang on ebay.  Dealer of Listeroids in Maine for a long time.  Prices were very good.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mike90045

Quote from: mbryner on December 29, 2009, 02:30:46 AM

Marcus

"Sam Crosby" <Gotts@gwi.net>  http://www.metropwr.com/index.html

lowspeedlife

Sorry Marcus, don't get too excited about the ring gear, I've been looking for one for a year now. had CMD ask Atul about a retro-fit kit, 7 or 8 months ago, no luck. Stationary engine parts in the UK sells a retro kit but the price + the exchange rate + shipping is really expensive. But they do sell the ring gear for 143.00  gbp after exchange thats $205.00. the starter is 153.00 gbp. these are for a 20 inch ring gear. they also sell a "specally cast" 20 fly wheel that has no holes in it & uses taperlock bushings with a ring gear installed that weighs 110 kilos for 199.00 gbp, but when i checked a few minutes ago they had none of any of these in stock. I don't know what size flywheel you have but our best chance is to get a few of us together & get Mike (listeroidsUSA1) to hobb us a few. personally I would like them with a 8-10 pitch so we could use a standard ford or chevy starter & not have to deal with the metric starters.                  HOW 'BOUT IT MIKE??
I did find a supplier in New Zeland I think that had a ring gear that was just a 1/4 inch in diameter smaller than the Stationary parts ring gear, think it was a 14 pitch, thats been some time back but they would never reply to my requests for info though I was willing to buy 10 to get the one I wanted.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

mbryner

Yes, 1-2 years ago I asked Mike about it and he said no.   I also just asked Sam Crosby this week, and he said it's not a retrofit kit.  Different flywheel.   There's a company in the UK that makes electric start kits, but they also require a new flywheel.   Shipping killed all those ideas.   I'll just get a 350 chevy flexplate and starter and have someone help me weld up a frame.

Marcus

mike90045

The flywheel has some big lugs cast into it, to hold the gear:

rcavictim

You big lug!  Ohhh I was talking about the picture.  :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

lowspeedlife

That's interesting Mike, that's the first i've seen of a smaller than flywheel sized ring gear attached to a listeroid. So If you can you give us some pictures of where the starter motor bolts onto the engine?. thanks.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

mike90045

Quote from: lowspeedlife on January 02, 2010, 04:36:26 PM
.... So If you can you give us some pictures of where the starter motor bolts onto the engine?. thanks.

Scott R.

Well, it bolts on right below the tappet deck. 

But I don't have any shots of that. next trip, late Feb. I'll get some shots of it then. 
Meantime, it gives me time to get some gadgets ordered from Utterpower or somewhere to perform the teardown & cleaning with. (tappet guide jack).  Do the cotter keys on the lower connecting rod need to be replaced each time ?  (I guess so, being made in sandville).

rl71459

When I was a younger man.... I worked at a trans shop! Great learning experiance...
At the risk of over simplifying.... Replacement Ring Gears for standard trans flywheels (GM as well
as others) cost less than $20.00 dollars. I know this is still true as I replaced the Clutch in my Truck
last year and installed a new ring gear then it was $16.00 at NAPA.

They are easy to remove and install. Heat and drive off with a punch... Heat and drop in place to
install. Ofcourse this is on a flywheel designed for it. But if you can create (Machine) an appropriate
Diameter and shoulder you will be able to service it easily in the future and make use of an over the
counter starter of a few different designs.

I to would have ordered the electric start option if it were me.... Just thought I might mention the DIY
potential of parts store stuff.

Rob