News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Oil consumption

Started by oiler, November 17, 2009, 06:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oiler

After pouring in the daily cup of oil onto the valves, the engine blows blue smoke for about eight hours.

My question is.....is it normal that the engine head needs three cups of oil in 24 hours?

It has about 300 hours nonstop run, and the crankcase oil consumption is  only about one cup in 100 hrs.

Oiler
Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

dubbleUJay

It's probably just givin' you work after looking over your shoulder when you were posting on this forum OILER  ;)

Seriously though, oil must be leaking past the valve stems somehow and into the combustion chamber, I cannot think of any other explanation ???
Excessive wear of the valve guides can occur quickly if rockers are not aligned correctly exec.

dubbleUJay
PS- Sorry for that 1st comment, but it seemed funny when I thought about it  ::)

I've got no idea why me and Jens post at exactly the same time, but he's probably right! Jens, would so much oil go that quickly down the guides?
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

oiler

Well. Peraps i do use too much oil, i'll try giving it a squirt mornings and evenings.

Perhaps it is the lube oil that is the reason, i need sweeping my exhaust exchanger every four days  ;)

Oiler
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

dubbleUJay

Oiler, you should try to keep the level in the 2 oil wells so that the top of the valve-guide is just visible, picture attached.

Any oil higher than that will go down the guide.
dubbleUJay
dubbleUJay

veggie

Two comments....

1] Worn valve guides or improper clearances ??

2] How about lubing the upper end with a thicker oil. Say straight 40w or something like that? It might not disappear so fast.

Veggie

BruceM

The valves and guides are Rajkot tolerances-  I use 90wt, and not much of it.  Same for the rocker and caps. 

Crofter

I use chainsaw bar and chain oil and the tackifyer really keeps it stuck to the rockers and valve caps. Even after a week you can see a film sucked between things. For some reason the oil pockets in the head will not hold oil up to the level of the top of the guide as I have seen in some drawings. Are some of the guides drilled latterally for oiling as is done on the cam follower bodies?
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

BruceM

Thanks for the chainsaw oil tip, Frank.  I never would have thought of it.

rcavictim

Remember that honey like stuff that was almost pure lubricant without the hassle of liquid?  I'm talking about STP oil treatment.  It does a marvelous job of creeping into places as a anti-sieze.  Perhaps it would be an ideal lube for the Lister top end valve gear.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

dubbleUJay

Quote from: BruceM on November 17, 2009, 10:02:02 AM
Thanks for the chainsaw oil tip, Frank.  I never would have thought of it.

Ditto!

I've seen some were on a commercial site that they recommend using Mobil 1 grease because of the oil getting used up ??? Not to sure about that though ,think it was OldStyleListers?

Found it, they changed their website:
http://www.wcaeaps.com/lubrication.html
dubbleUJay

BruceM

Sounds interesting though that source is highly suspect. 
I wonder if grease would also take care of the valve caps, reducing that service interval.  My rocker arm is oiled, no grease cap.  Bummer.

veggie

dubbleUJay, thanks for posting that website. It has some interesting info in various categories.
One suggestion made on the site was to replace the rocker shaft grease cup with a grease nipple and service a bit less often with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Anyone screw an auto-greaser into this spot for 24/7 service? There were many other interesting tidbits of info there.

Veggie

dubbleUJay

Yes Veggie, there's a lot to read/see on that site and I was particular interested in the mods they did to the engine head a while back. They use to be OSL and I read the stuff a long time ago.

Jens, one thing that happened to me a while back. I've got an original Lister, but my whole rocker arm assembly was worn, so I purchased a new "clone"one.
It had the grease cup, but I noticed it did not work, so on inspection I found that they forgot to drill the holes in the shaft by each rocker bush! I also fixed the alignment of the rockers to the valve caps with some spacer washers as they were way out to one side.
Every now and then I just give the cup a 1/4 turn. The grease does peel out in between the rockers and the shaft now. I tend to oil them anyway when I oil the rockers exec.
dubbleUJay

dubbleUJay

This is the problem the Clone Manufacturers have with the practice of "stealing with one's eyes"   :o
You cannot see whats inside!  ;)
dubbleUJay

oiler

Quote from: Crofter on November 17, 2009, 10:00:12 AM
I use chainsaw bar and chain oil and the tackifyer really keeps it stuck to the rockers and valve caps. Even after a week you can see a film sucked between things. For some reason the oil pockets in the head will not hold oil up to the level of the top of the guide as I have seen in some drawings. Are some of the guides drilled latterally for oiling as is done on the cam follower bodies?
Thanks for the tip reg. chainsaw oil, i'll try it right away.
Reg. drilled guides i've seen a drawing somewhere, can't find it now though, it showed the drilled guides.
So i guess yours might have the holes, since your oil is disappering too fast.

Oiler
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1