News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Rotor/armature removal 2 pole tapered shaft engine.

Started by Carlb, November 17, 2015, 02:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlb

I have a two pole 6.8kw genhead on an 12hp tapered shaft engine with a broken conrod.  I have removed the rotor / armatures from tapered shaft engines before without any real difficulty, but this one is being real stubborn.  Normally I would remove the center bolt on the rotor and insert a long rod then thread a bolt into the threaded end of the rotor and just push the rotor off the engine crankshaft.   This one is not budging and pulled the threads out of the end of the rotor.  I then tried (I never tried this method before) to whack it on the laminations with a 3lb dead blow hammer with no success. 

Any ideas how to get this stubborn rotor off the tapered engine shaft? 

Thanks

Carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

TimSR2

I would look to re-thread the puller threads one size larger and try it again with a larger puller bolt. Use  shock as an aid to your puller. Smack that puller bolt hard with a brass hammer after you load up the tension. Any way you can introduce a sharp vibration to the shaft after the puller tension is loaded is going to be the key. Depending on the puller alone to do the job is often a  problem.. you need shock too. The shock has to be from a metallic hammer,not a dead blow.

Soak the taper,  if you can get at it, with diesel or any penetrating oil. Also heat the affected area of the taper, if you can get at it.

The tools available to you, ( in order of importance)   are penetrant, heat, puller load, and shock. Soak it, heat it, load up the tension and then whack it hard with a metallic hammer. 

Carlb

Thanks Tim,  I thought about re-tapping it larger and trying it again.   I will can get some penetrating oil down the taper and re-tap the end and tension it up with the bolt then give it a few good hits with a 2lb steel hammer and hope for the best.  If that doesn't work i will let it sit with some tension and oil for a few days and try again.

Thanks

Carl
My Projects

LowGear

Hi Carl,

I did a thread on "best penetrating oil" and settled on a mixture of 1/2 ATF and 1/2 acetone.

Casey

Dualfuel

Carl, cut the crankshaft off with a plasma cutter, the intense heat will be local near the taper. The heat won't make it to the rotor. It will loosen the taper.

Carlb

Casey,  That's exactly what i used
Dualfuel,  I don't have a plasma cutter and even if i did i couldn't get that close to it because of the bell housing and fan.  The bell housing can't be removed without removing the rotor first.
My Projects