News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

8/1 teardown

Started by cgwymp, November 15, 2009, 09:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgwymp

Not sure if this would be better posted in "Member's projects", but I just posted some photos of my 8/1's internals.  I would have taken more, but the camera's batteries died!

http://picasaweb.google.com/rcedward/ListeroidInternals?authkey=Gv1sRgCOqhpKjhivOP5gE#
Listeroid 8/1

WGB

How many hours on that engine?
What are you planing to do?

rcavictim

Awesome picture.  Is this a Chinese made Listeroid?  ;D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

cgwymp

Quote from: WGB on November 15, 2009, 10:57:48 AM
How many hours on that engine?
What are you planing to do?

No idea how many hours -- I took delivery on it last week and it's obviously been test-fired, but I've no idea how long it was run before being crated & shipped.

I'm going to completely disassemble, clean, and blueprint before I reassemble it & fire it.  After that, it'll get a genhead and be emergency/auxiliary power....

Cheers!
Listeroid 8/1

cgwymp

Quote from: rcavictim on November 15, 2009, 11:05:22 AM
Awesome picture.  Is this a Chinese made Listeroid?  ;D

Be nice...   ;-)
Listeroid 8/1

rcavictim

I was not trying to be not nice.  You cannot make stuff like that up.  Like I said. Awesome picture.  I was in no way trying to offend anyone who is Chinese.  Their own art depicts such characteristic face features.  The reason this works for me is because most of us Lister fans have been not so secretly wishing that the Chinese would start making a copy of the CS.  The quality would blow the Indian crappola engines into the sand dust that is now in their crankcases.

I had a look at the closeup pics of the crank journal finish and the bearing shell.  Both look to be in extremely poor and rough condition to me.  There is evidence of a lot of fine debris going through there.  With that and the wear showing on the cylinder walls I would have to say there are some hours on this engine, much more than an hour test run IMO.

Thorough cleaning out appears in order and a sealing treatment on the inside of the crankcase.  Don't know what to recommend on the crank journal.  If this was a modern hi-speed engine I'd be recommending a regrind and undersized bearing shells.  Those surfaces are rough.  Right now this is like sliding two pieces of sandpaper across each other with oil as lubricant.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

XYZER

One can polish the crank in house but I would recomend take the crank with the rod and new bearing to a engine machine shop get the crank polished and have the rod and bearing checked for proper clearance. ........
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

cgwymp

Quote from: rcavictim on November 15, 2009, 11:22:17 AM
I was not trying to be not nice.

I know -- that's why the winking smilie at the end of my post.  Just ynking your chain a little! ;-)

You cannot make stuff like that up.  Like I said. Awesome picture.  I was in no way trying to offend anyone who is Chinese.  Their own art depicts such characteristic face features.  The reason this works for me is because most of us Lister fans have been not so secretly wishing that the Chinese would start making a copy of the CS.  The quality would blow the Indian crappola engines into the sand dust that is now in their crankcases.

It says something when typical Chinese quality is an improvement!  ;-)

I had a look at the closeup pics of the crank journal finish and the bearing shell.  Both look to be in extremely poor and rough condition to me.  There is evidence of a lot of fine debris going through there.  With that and the wear showing on the cylinder walls I would have to say there are some hours on this engine, much more than an hour test run IMO.

Thorough cleaning out appears in order and a sealing treatment on the inside of the crankcase.  Don't know what to recommend on the crank journal.  If this was a modern hi-speed engine I'd be recommending a regrind and undersized bearing shells.  Those surfaces are rough.  Right now this is like sliding two pieces of sandpaper across each other with oil as lubricant.

I think the pictures make it look worse than it is.  The crank journal is actually quite smooth.  It will polish out nicely.  I don't plan on reusing the bearings.  The bore shows more vertical scratches than I'd like, but I don't think it's anything that won't hone out.  I think I got the wrong end of the test-fire chain and I probably had well-used oil when it was tested.  I can say that the crate it was in appeared not to have been opened since it was nailed shut in Rajkot....

Cheers!
Listeroid 8/1

veggie

cgwymp.

Thanks for posting your progress so far...

Referring to your posted pictures:
That engine does not have a sleeve. That's why you can't see it.
Some of the Listeroid makers no longer use a replaceable sleeve design.
If the bore wears, you have to re-bore the cylinder or replace the cylinder.
In many cases, it's cheaper to replace the cylinder.

Veggie

cgwymp

Quote from: veggie on November 15, 2009, 05:52:43 PM

cgwymp.

Thanks for posting your progress so far...

Referring to your posted pictures:
That engine does not have a sleeve. That's why you can't see it.
Some of the Listeroid makers no longer use a replaceable sleeve design.
If the bore wears, you have to re-bore the cylinder or replace the cylinder.
In many cases, it's cheaper to replace the cylinder.

Veggie

Hi Veggie,

You can see the bottom of the sleeve in this photo:

Listeroid 8/1

mobile_bob

i don't quite understand the hesitancy to pressurize the cooling system

one oring might be a bit sketchy, but two will certainly hold 7-10psi

detroit 53 and 92 series used only two orings and the block was cut for 3
the idea was you use the upper two grooves until the upper groove became too
corroded to hold an oring then you moved down to the lower 2 grooves. (the orings
btw were only 1/8" in diameter. fwiw, the old detroits all ran 7 or 10lb rad caps, and i have
no doubt they could have held 14lb caps either.)

i never saw one that needed to be moved, to the lower grooves, but then again i only worked on non marine
engines that didn't use fresh water for cooling, or maybe saltwater in some aweful arrangement.

i am running a 7 lb cap on my changfa and it only has two orings and under very heavy load it can get up
to ~220 degree's F and has shown no signs of seapage into the crankcase.

the OP cylinder may have a dry sleeve fitted anyway, pressed into a bored dry hole and then flycut flush
with the cylinder jacket casting, if this is the case it is very hard to see the parting line without a good light
and maybe some solvent to make the parting line standout. even then it might be so good you would need
a magnaflux to find the line.

rcavictim

My JD175A has a wet sleeve and I run the system with thermosiphon and small automobile radiator with a 7 psi rad cap.  My system has broken the wires to the fan blower twice now, puking coolant in an overheat and I have not seen any evidence of an o-ring or head gasket failure yet.

Because of this I no longer trust to leave the plant running unattended and have plans to change the source of cooling air through the radiator that vibration and a broken wire cannot kill.

XYZER

I'm not shure it it wet or dry from the pictures, but if it is a wet type there is no protrusion of the liner at the top of the cylinder....strange.....also I see it has a 7 cylinder head stud arrangement. Not common!?
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

WGB

What brand of engine is it cgywmp?
I did see a sleeve either.

cgwymp

There appears to be a faint parting line in the deck about 1/8"-ish inch from the bore that I took to be the join between a sleeve and the cylinder block, but perhaps that's just an artifact of the head gasket.  I looked down in the water jacket and there's no machined surface in there, so I guess I stand corrected about it being sleeved.

I don't know what brand it is.  The data plates and indeed the sump cover are no help.  I'm going to decline to say whom I bought it from because there's one concern I have about it, and if it turns out to be a genuine problem I want to work it out with the vendor before I talk about it in an open forum.  I don't like it when people slag vendors in public without giving the vendor a chance to address a problem.

That said, the crate had "M.K. Engineers" on it -- does that mean anything to anyone?

So I have an unusual head stud arrangement?  That worries me a little from a replacement parts standpoint....
Listeroid 8/1