News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Sears cordless drill review...

Started by Dualfuel, June 07, 2015, 08:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualfuel

Hi,
My NiCad drill batteries finally died and I thought it was time for a new Li ion model. I had been using the Sears 19.2 volt model for three years. The first one's batteries died after a year, and I got a replacement on the whole kit. The replacement lasted two years and was out of warranty when the batteries died. The drill chuck was getting kinda loose, so rather then buying just new batteries, I decided to shop for a smaller lighter Li-ion model.
I had success with the Black and Decker model from Walmart. I never used the B and D model until it failed, so never knew Walmart's return policy. Today, I asked the Walmart store manager about returning the tool to the store for replacement. He told me, that they only did replacements for 90 days after purchase...so I made the rounds to all the local shops that handled these cordless drills and impacts. Turns out Sears had the best deal.

this was $119 plus tax and another $18 for the purchase protection. These tools have a three year free replacement warranty. This thrills me, to be able to walk into the store and simply pick out a replacement without having to ship the broken one off in the mail.

Also, these Li-ion batteries work in the old NiCad tools I have, so I can still use my flashlight and old drill.
The big challenge is to put the original receipt in a time capsule until the tool dies....

vdubnut62

Go with Hitachi sold @ Lowes. 10 year on older stuff  and now lifetime warranty.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Carlb

I have 3 Dewalts in 12v and 18v Lion for the last 3years and all are still working great.
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

Dualfuel

Wow! I had a Hitachi  in my hot little hands, but the Walmart manager said I'd have to mail it in, if there was a problem...so I went to Sears because they keep the tools in stock and will just hand you one, right off the shelf. Lowes is down in Wisconsin somewhere...or maybe out east in Marquette either of which is too long a ride for me.

I have built many things with DeWalt tools and they sell them locally...but it was the price point. I have had the keyless chucks wear out at about a year, no matter what brand.

So far the Sears impact driver has helped pull two 700r4 transmissions and install 1750watts of panels, on one battery...I like Lithium batteries....can u imagine if Germany had had Li-ion batteries in their subs during WWII? Wow...

Henry W

I've learned a few good things about Amazon.com lately. Some of the parents from the high school track team also have their children involved in the summer track club which my daughter and I are involved in to keep them in shape for fall. (Yes it's year round training for serious runners). These parents and I hang around together since our children workout and run together in the relays. Since I purchased the inverter generator and fans for summer to keep cool two other parents shown interest in a setup and one of the parents already purchased a setup online from Amazon.com last week. The generator ran for ten seconds and quit running and would not start up again. I checked it out and the ignition system would not fire a spark. Something went. They called the manufacture and in turn the manufacture gave them a service location to bring it in for service.  They called and there would be a service fee that would be refundable once the recept is sent in to the manufacture. The kicker is they won't be able to get to it for at least 3 weeks. Monday I mentioned to call Amazon.com and have them take care of it. Well, amazon.com sent out a replacement the same day! The unit will arrive today. Amazon said put the defective one back in the box and leave it out on the porch and it will be picked up. I say that's pretty good service. The point I'm trying to make is if you live far away from Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart ect, ect Amazon.com could be an alternative to purchase items. It seems like they have a good return policy and customer service department to help with issues. I've always liked Sears garantee and return policy but our Sears store was closed down.

mike90045

Quote from: hwew on June 10, 2015, 06:15:23 AM...Well, amazon.com sent out a replacement the same day! The unit will arrive today. Amazon said put the defective one back in the box and leave it out on the porch and it will be picked up...

That's a surprise.  Once oil and fuel have been added, I've understood it can't be shipped anymore.

Henry W

That is my understanding also. I read reviews that a person had a small inverter generator that Had a leaky fuel pump and Amazon sent a replacement out and than said to dispose of the defective one properly.

Here is the link to the review:     http://youtu.be/9RNFFBsS23U

Dualfuel

Good to know about the Amazon. I have to look into getting a bank account/debit card to order things with. I am a cash only guy. I had to get a money order (actually several) when I order panels, then I call the UPS garage and they put it on Mr. Anderson's truck and I meet him towards town where the road is more passable for his truck. I don't have a fire number out here yet...hmm going on 4 yrs.