News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

ChangFa 1115 fuel pump?

Started by thyNemesis, September 08, 2014, 08:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thyNemesis

Hey there,

I'm currently rebuilding/upgrading my genset, an ChangFa 1115 with a ST10 genhead.
Doing some research now on adding a larger fuel tank. The fuel tank is to large to mount above the engine, around 30 gallons.
I plan on mounting it on the trailer frame, at the same level as engine and genhead.

I have a direct drive system, The fuel tank is sitting behind and level with the genhead.
i.e.

The fuel tank is positioned like this:  Engine->ST10 genhead->fuel tank.

So, I will need to be able to pump the fuel from back behind the genhead up about 12"  or so to the original fuel shut-off valve location.

Q; Any ideas  on a electric diesel fuel pump to use for this application?

Q: Do I need to install a return line back to the tank?

Q: Should I install the fuel pump before the fuel filter or after the filter? (filter/water seperator)

Thanks

Jeff
in Central Florida

glort

Facet among others make small piston type pumps which would suit your purpose. Walbro also do them. They are available in low pressure outputs which would save you having a regulator or return.

If your fuel is clean you can put the filter after the pump. I have a fdacet type pump and use it for quite dirty oil regularly. Particles don't worry it but I wouldn't use it on chunks which you shouldn't have any way. I Use the cheap Disposeable type filters which should last a long time on clean, fresh diesel. Installed the right way they also have the advantage of being able to be bled and then act like a little sump  to ensure only fuel and no air is in the line.

playdiesel

The pump you choose needs to be low pressure and also needs to be mounted back close to the tank for two reasons. 1 Pumps like to push, not pull and 2 the injection pumps send heavy pulses back the line. The fuel is actually going back and forth with each cycle of the injection pump, the actual amount going back changing with loading. You dont want this back flow slamming against your tank pump. I would think that simply using rubber line instead of hard lines  would allow enough give so you wont have problems. Prim and proper filtering would be a pre pump coarser filer media with water separation and then a post pump fine media filter head. I think that something like 20 micron is best for pre pump and then you want like 5-10 for post pump? Check this out before taking to the bank! I have RACORr units on mine but been too long to remember the Micron per memory. The units made by RACOR are very nice and if you shop Ebay, cheap.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

pressurepro

Same basic thing here..I have these in front of some kubota zb600-c 2 cyl diesels for almost 3 years now..no issues...the green "diesel" version.....oriellys has them in stock....bout 60 bux.......power wire...ground wire...good to go....just tryin to help....

http://www.mr-gasket.com/products/news/63-micro-electric-fuel-pumps-for-gasoline-or-diesel-applications.html

thyNemesis

Hello,

Thanks for all the valuable information.

I am now getting ready to make my  purchase of my Low pressure diesel fuel pump. I've seen one I want to buy on Ebay and I see that they have same model number on both, but difference prices and a different color of the metal. One is sort of like a silverish color and the other one is a golden color. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Not sure how to post a link here, but will give it a shot.

They are:

Number 1: 12V Low Pressure Electronic Fuel Pump Priming Diesel Petrol HEP-02A For YANMAR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Low-Pressure-Electronic-Fuel-Pump-Priming-Diesel-Petrol-HEP-02A-For-YANMAR-/121420129897?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c45342669&vxp=mtr

Number 2: New Gas Diesel Inline Low Pressure electric fuel pump 12V

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gas-Diesel-Inline-Low-Pressure-electric-fuel-pump-12V-/121398085413?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c43e3c725&vxp=mtr

Looking to purchase the cheaper costing one, Number 1:

Are these one in the same? What is the difference of a priming pump? does it allow fuel pass-through when it's off while a regular low pressure pump does not?

Any input on these two selections provided?

Thanks guys.

glort

Here is another one that does the exact same thing only cheaper still:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Universal-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Metal-Solid-Intank-DC-12V-For-Car-Vans-/281430399830?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41868f1b56&vxp=mtr

and another round type one cheaper again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12V-Electric-Stable-Fuel-Pump-Metal-Intank-Plunger-Type-90-H-/271596734772?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3c6d4934&vxp=mtr

They are all the same and do the same thing.

They should ( at least the square onels like I have) allow fuel flow through them although it may be slightly restricted.

vdubnut62

I have had similar to the round one on my 60hp Belarus tractor behind a VW rabbit diesel filter.in addition to the OEM filters for years and it has been very reliable
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous