News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Intro -- Hello!

Started by cgwymp, November 10, 2009, 05:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgwymp

Hello!

I just took delivery of an 8/1 yesterday!  I've been reading about listeroids and discussing them with a friend who has one and finally took the plunge.  It was very tempting to fire it up, but I'm going to take it completely down and clean/verify *everything* first.  I've peeked around inside it and it looks fairly clean, and when I slowly roll it over by hand, the tappets rotate so I feel good about that.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself.

Cheers!
Listeroid 8/1

oiler

Welcome aboard. Where are you located?

Cheers
Oiler
Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

cgwymp

Quote from: oiler on November 10, 2009, 05:56:24 AM
Welcome aboard. Where are you located?

Oops -- forgot.  I'm in Raleigh, NC.

Thanks for the welcome!
Listeroid 8/1

veggie

cgwymp,

Congratulations! and welcome to the world of slow speed diesels.
Looking forward to more updates as your project progresses.
We have a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum so you should be able to get most of the answers you may need along the way.

Cheers,
veggie

quinnf

Congrats on the new engine.  Haven't seen very many 8/1s coming out of India with other than the 10/1 style of flywheel.  The British engines had trapezoidal cutouts in the 8/1.  The 10/1 had oval cutouts.  That one looks like a hybrid between the two.  It's good to see they're no longer fitting the 6/1 spoked flywheels to the faster turniing 8/1s.  A flywheel spinning at 850 rpm has 71% more energy stored in it than one of the same weight spinning at 650 rpm, so you really need the stronger flywheel for that engine.

Since you mentioned that you are going to tear your engine down, which I absolutely recommend, you might take a gander at a review I wrote to George at Utterpower when he and Joel asked me to assemble one, keep track of how long it took, and give them frank feedback on what I found along the way.  The review was originally intended only for their eyes, but George later decided to post them on his site so folks could see what they might find if they decided to go this route. 

Maybe these articles can help.  If you encounter any problems, sing out.  There are lots of folks here who are able to help.

Quinn

http://www.utterpower.com/kit_engines.htm

Ronmar

Yep, Quinn's beta test articles are an excellent resource!
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

WGB

Welcome, good luck with your engine!

cgwymp

Thanks, everyone!

Quinn, that's very interesting reading.  I spent a lot of time at utterpower.com before I bought my engine (and even bought the CD), but I somehow missed the kit engine pages.  Thanks for the link!

I'm sure I'll have questions as I dig into this thing, so I appreciate everyone's helpfulness.  I'm an old hand mechanical stuff (been doing MGs for many years and spent 10 years in the car biz) but this is my first hands-on with compression ignition.....

Cheers!
Listeroid 8/1

quinnf

Thanks, Ron. 

George is working on transferring (and organizing!) his site using Dreamweaver.  He created it using Microsoft's Front Page, and apparently that's no longer supported.  For now, though, if you're looking for information on his site you can search it on Google.  Just type in the Google search box the following:

site:utterpower.com [and then enter whatever key work you want to search for.]

And remember that there is no space between the : and utterpower.com and one space between .com and your search term.

Quinn

WGB

Quote from: cgwymp on November 11, 2009, 04:47:46 AM
Thanks, everyone!

Quinn, that's very interesting reading.  I spent a lot of time at utterpower.com before I bought my engine (and even bought the CD), but I somehow missed the kit engine pages.  Thanks for the link!

I'm sure I'll have questions as I dig into this thing, so I appreciate everyone's helpfulness.  I'm an old hand mechanical stuff (been doing MGs for many years and spent 10 years in the car biz) but this is my first hands-on with compression ignition.....

Cheers!

You talking machine guns? or Morris Garage LOL

I'm redoing a Midget now, also like machine guns!

I'll help where ever I can.

I use to go to Lincolnton  to stay with friends every spring for the Rockingham race.

cgwymp

Quote from: WGB on November 11, 2009, 04:51:35 PM
You talking machine guns? or Morris Garage LOL

I'm redoing a Midget now, also like machine guns!

I'll help where ever I can.

I use to go to Lincolnton  to stay with friends every spring for the Rockingham race.

That'd be Morris Garages.  Currently there's a B and a TD in the garage, and a CGT waiting for some attention.  It's eying the Lister wondering if its restoration is to be deferred again....

I used to like going down to Rockingham for the drag races.  That was a long time ago though.  Now I go to VIR for the historic racing....

Cheers!
Listeroid 8/1