News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

possible to Add starter to r170A

Started by xymotic, August 04, 2012, 12:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xymotic

Hi everyone,  When I bought my boat, I got a bunch of spare parts (a storage unit in fact) including a Changfa r170a diesel motor (yay!)

I've had a tough time researching it, I found that it's water cooled, (yay!) but it's pull start and I'd really like electric.  Is it possible to convert it? Anyone have any links for parts suppliers/esp accessories

uber39

Hi all,
       I've just installed electric start onto a r165, the kit was for a r175. Flywheel & starter fit a treat once you remove the fuel tank and hopper. had to lift hopper by about 1/4" and fuel tank at lest 1/2" to clear the larger flywheel. Other bonus is that it now runs a lot smoother. kit cost me $85.00 plus postage, but thats here in Oz.
       Hope this helps,
           uber39

xymotic

Yes, thanks very much.  How'd you lift it?  just shim it with washers or something? 
(sorry if that's dumb, I really haven't looked into the motor much yet.

uber39

I just made 2 gaskets from 1/8" rubber sheet for the hopper and made brackets for the fuel tank. Fuel tank will be removed soon when its in its final resting spot, I just keep running out of time to get this thing finished. Winter will over before I get it done.
       uber39

quinnf

Hey there!  Pictures or it never happened!

I've been thinking the same thing for my R175a.  Was thinking of using a golf cart starter-generator, available at Amazon.com.  Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Generator-250-400-30083-69a-30083-69b/dp/B004MNMWNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344291319&sr=8-1&keywords=golf+cart+starter+generator

Just have to rig up a remote compression release set up on a time-delay relay and I think it would be pretty easy to do.

Quinn

vdubnut62

Quinn, isn't that thing just the equivalent of an old automotive type generator?.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom Reed

It's a starter/generator. You're also going to need the regulator at around $60 to go with that. They are extremely inefficient and will end up spinning around 10k rpm to get enough torque to spin the engine. I have one on a Wisconsin engine on a Bolens tractor and it's a huge drag on the engine.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

vdubnut62

I had one of the starter/gens on a Kohler that powered an old Massey Ferguson lawn tractor, always ran down the battery after a few days & never did get it sorted out
just pulled the cables every time I was done for the day.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

quinnf

Quote from: Tom on August 06, 2012, 06:27:24 PM
It's a starter/generator. You're also going to need the regulator at around $60 to go with that. They are extremely inefficient and will end up spinning around 10k rpm to get enough torque to spin the engine. I have one on a Wisconsin engine on a Bolens tractor and it's a huge drag on the engine.

Tom,

Thanks for the input.  I'll proceed carefully, then.  The units I commonly see (e.g. the ones sold on Amazon) have size A v-belt pulleys mounted on them for direct connection to the engine.  So since they would be cranking a gas engine of up to about 20 HP through compression, there should be plenty of torque available to spin up a small diesel with compression released. 

I'm not interested in the /generator side of the unit, just in a starter that can be belted to the flywheel and then left to freewheel with no load on it while the engine's running.  Other starter options requre the use of some sort of engagement device and a drive wheel, etc. which I'd like to avoid, since I intend to enclose the engine in some sort of shroud (Have you ever heard an R175A run?  Like shaking a coffee can full of rocks.   :o  ).  The R175A I'm thinking of using this on won't run long hours, so I'm not obscessed with efficiency.

Another option would be to use an auto A/C magnetic clutch to engage a modified auto starter, but the motor starter would accomplish that at less cost without hassling with turning a tapered adapter to couple a starter to the A/C clutch.  So that's the method to my madness.

Quinn

mobile_bob

Quinn
you might consider sandwiching a small block chevy flex plate between the flywheel and the
drive pulley and then mounting a chevy starter?

that might not be to difficult to do?

bob g

Tom Reed

+1 on Bob's suggestion, Quinn, even if you're not using the generator portion of the starter/generator it will be spinning fast when the engine is at running speed and will have a lot of drag. I can really tell the difference with the 7.25 hp engine on my tractor.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

quinnf

Ok, maybe that's why more folks haven't done that.  That's the problem with being on the cutting edge of technology.  Stuff doesn't always work.  And even when it does, something unexpected often arises to throw water in your face.

q.

quinnf

Quote from: mobile_bob on August 08, 2012, 10:55:28 AM
Quinn
you might consider sandwiching a small block chevy flex plate between the flywheel and the
drive pulley and then mounting a chevy starter?

that might not be to difficult to do?

bob g

You wanna come over and help me wrestle the flywheel off that engine?  I tried my biggest gear puller, then a brake drum puller and even gently heated it with a propane torch, and then tapped (gently, too), and no joy.  Might have to build a custom puller.  Maybe some J-bolts through a piece of I-beam . . . 

Was thinking just belting a starter/generator off the thing would save a lot of pain. 

q.

quinnf

Hmmm . . . I've got the J-bolts, and a piece of 2" heavy wall square tubing . . .

mobile_bob

if i were close i would fire up the old service van and be over in a jiffy
but alas that ain't a gonna happen my friend, we be too far apart.

i was thinking of putting the flexplate between the bolt on pulley and the flywheel, that way
you don't have to remove the flywheel?

soon as you get it sorted out, i wanna see how you did it, i got 2 of the water cooled 175's to fit
with starters and an aircooled 170 that would be nice to have electric  starter on it too.

bob g