News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Changfa Injection Pump Rack Stuck

Started by quinnf, January 28, 2012, 08:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinnf

I have a CF R175A that I've never started.  Thought it was about time, so I did a limited teardown to see how everything works.  I can see right away why these engines are famous for generating more noise than power.  The camshaft drive gear has fully 0.020" backlash between the teeth.  Flat cut teeth and backlash are a noisy combination!

One thing caught my eye, and that was the governor and fuel rack.  I can see how the governor works, but try as I might, I could not get the fuel rack to move.  Took out the injection pump and found the rack was stuck solid.  Some wiggling lubricated with penetrating oil managed to free it, but it still takes probably 30-40 lbs of force to move it.

Anybody know anything about these injection pumps?  The diagram included in the manual is virtually useless.

Thanks

Quinn

rcavictim

You might have to spend $25 and buy a new one.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Tom Reed

The rack on my s195 was stuck on arrival. I disassembled the pump, cleaned it up and reassembled the pump. Works fine now.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

billswan

Guys

This has nothing to do with single cylinder diesels. But I have had the experience of having the die in red diesel stick a injector pump fuel metering valve so tight I thought it had rusted in. A IH tractor I had to work on sat unused because of transmission issues for 3 years and the fuel leaked and also evaporated out of the injector pump. The valve stuck so tight it would not move. The engine ran at dead idle only. I disassembled the pump and to my amazement the red die was the glue that had locked up the valve. Of course when the valve stuck the pin that actuates it snapped off.............. >:( >:(

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

rcavictim

Quote from: billswan on January 29, 2012, 09:16:49 PM
Guys

This has nothing to do with single cylinder diesels. But I have had the experience of having the die in red diesel stick a injector pump fuel metering valve so tight I thought it had rusted in. A IH tractor I had to work on sat unused because of transmission issues for 3 years and the fuel leaked and also evaporated out of the injector pump. The valve stuck so tight it would not move. The engine ran at dead idle only. I disassembled the pump and to my amazement the red die was the glue that had locked up the valve. Of course when the valve stuck the pin that actuates it snapped off.............. >:( >:(

Billswan

That's just not fair!  So they managed to hide a tax in colored diesel after all!  Bastards.  >:(
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

playdiesel

Becareful forcing the rack as the parts are delicate in there. You might try pumping some fresh fuel through it. Remove the fitting that goes to the injector line and the spring and delivery valve under it. Put some penetrant or fuel in that end and mount it sideways in a vise with the inlet upwards. Put some fresh fuel in the inlet and push the operating plunger in. Luckily we have only had to deal with one that was stuck and it was stuck real good.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

vdubnut62

Stuck pump parts really like Auto Tranny Fluid.  Soak  in ATF and diesel and "Patience, Grasshopper".
Also heard Biodiesel is a heck of a solvent, but I can't speak from personal experience.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

quinnf

I can't get it apart past the cam follower and delivery valve.  Sonicated it for two hours yesterday in paint thinner and a surprising amount of what appears to be very fine casting sand came out.  No sign of rust, but it appears it was assembled by someone who didn't bother to clean the parts first. 

q.

Tom Reed

That looks like my pump. In mine there was a 2nd screw on the bottom, similar to the one shown in your picture. If you remove that the guts should come out of the pump.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

rcavictim

playdiesel

Sand is bad news, there is NO room between the barrel and plunger for debris.  Sonic is cool ;) wish I had one for such work.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

quinnf

There is no second screw in this one, and I noticed when I dissassembled it that the tip of the screw was mushroomed.  That doesn't look right.  That and the grit. . .

The sonicator was at work, not being used.  Needed to be exercised. 

Anybody know if parts are available for these engines any longer?  I'd just as soon invest in a new IP and keep this one for spare. 

q.

deeiche

Quote from: quinnf on January 30, 2012, 11:05:52 AM
SNIP
Anybody know if parts are available for these engines any longer?  I'd just as soon invest in a new IP and keep this one for spare. 

q.
Don't know where you are at, but you could contact the person who constantly keeps this Seattle CL ad running.

Tom Reed

ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

pekkap

my zs1105 had broken pin inside pump. worked fine though. from china factory i could get whole pump, not pin..  hopefully all parts in these machines wont get stuck.