News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

I think I've found my generator head, a 7.5KW Stamford Newage

Started by Simtech, January 20, 2012, 09:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simtech

A new surplus Stamford Newage 7.5KW, 2 pole 3600RPM.  He's got a lot of them.  My main concern is if it's a two bearing unit or not, I'm sure I can adapt a pulley attachment to it but I dont know how well it'll take a side load.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-5-KW-Stamford-Newage-Generator-End-New-Surplus-/230557910201?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item35ae5284b9

Thoughts?

Edit to the edit:

It's 3 phase - but according to the wire diagram they can be configured to double delta single phase (??).   As I want to rectify it to DC and feed a battery bank I'm unsure how well this'd work. 

Henry W

They are single bearing and the 2-bearing conversion  kit is no longer available.

Ronmar

If you are going to make DC out of it, 3 phase is the way to go IMO...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

BruceM

3 phase is a dream come true for DC charging, that's why auto alternators are 3 phase.  Otherwise you usually have to find a monster inductor (usually a transformer primary or secondary) to filter.

If you need to change the voltage, however, three phase can get expensive, since you need 3 transformers. What's your planned charging setup ?

XYZER

Can these be set up for single phase? If so that would be a heck of a deal. I can easly make a 2 bearing adapter for it and if I ever had a need for DC or 3 phase I could have my cake and eat it!
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Simtech

Quote from: BruceM on January 20, 2012, 11:53:14 AM
3 phase is a dream come true for DC charging, that's why auto alternators are 3 phase.  Otherwise you usually have to find a monster inductor (usually a transformer primary or secondary) to filter.
If you need to change the voltage, however, three phase can get expensive, since you need 3 transformers. What's your planned charging setup ?

I'm going to be feeding the rectified DC to a Midnight Solar 200 charge controller pushing electrons into a 48V battery bank.

I want 120V single phase in case something goes wrong during a long term emergency I can feed the load directly instead of going through an battery bank/inverter.  I suppose I could leave it 3 phase and then rewire it if I ever need single phase.  According to the maintenance manual I downloaded it'll raise the efficiency from 67% (1p) to 73% (3p).

I've been looking for the 3 parts to convert it to a 2 bearing gen head, but can't find them like Hwew said. 

mbryner

I'm experimenting w/ a MN Solar 200 right now, w/ Listeroid and ST 7.5.   Using a big inductor.   Wish it was 3 phase, but need regular AC too.   Can't have it all.   It works find but I'll be able to give you some better data and initial setpoints when some capacitors arrive from Digikey.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

TimSR2

Are these any good?  I have viewed them many times.   My neighbour is a retired machinist and could easily make me a conversion kit to 2 bearing for at most a couple hundred bucks. 

BruceM

Based on the manual, the Midnight "Classic" 200 is designed for a rectified AC power source, in the "Legacy Perturb & Observe" input mode. They specifically mention a Lister engine with rectified 3 phase. No mention of single phase, but perhaps Marcus knows the scoop on that.

You might have some issues with it's power point tracking design if you don't use that mode, it will periodically bog down your generator as it tries to find the optimum load.  I'm sure you can put a limit on the charge current, that might solve that problem as well. No doubt the company has lots of folks using them for rectified AC charge regulation, and their tech support should be able to suggest the most popular arrangement for a "swings both ways" (PV or Generator) setup, assuming you don't want to push buttons to run your backup generator for charging.

Sure looks like a good job of design and engineering.  If the world ever wakes up and starts specifying EMI limits on off grid power systems, I'm sure Midnight will be in the lead with a low-EMI product line. 

mbryner

Rectified 3-phase certainly would be best to feed any MPPT charge controller.   You can see how I'm trying to get rid of ripple and resonance from single-phase  w/ caps on other threads.   

One of our members here, Halfcrazy, is a tech support manager at Midnight Solar.   He runs a Listeroid w/ single-phase ST head w/ a Classic 200 for charging.   But he also parallels two 5000+ uFd capacitors.  He sent me a pdf file with his setup.   Wonder if I could post it here.   Is there a way to post a file?  Or I can just upload it to my server later and make a link here later tonight.  Not trying to hijack this thread but this is your future intent for this gen head, no?   

I've tried the "microhydro" mode and the "legacy" mode on the Classic 200.   Both bog down my 6/1 to the point of almost stalling, which I didn't like.   So I just use the %VOC mode at 62% and set the amp limit to 50.   I suspect these numbers will change when I add a few large capacitors.  Don't know if always hitting the amp limit is OK or if will cause long term damage.   

Marcus
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Simtech

Hmmm, I never considered FABBING a end bearing.  It shouldnt be all that terribly hard....  And if it doesnt work I'm only out $250

dieselgman

We purchased a couple crates of these some time back... good people to deal with. I have not figured out how to accommodate a second bearing with that shaft flange as supplied - as of yet.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

Henry W

I still have the contact number from a person at Stamford/Cummins when I inquired about these about 8 months back. I'll see what I can find out. As I mentioned before, the 2 bearing kits are no longer available. I will contact him and see if I work somthing out.

Henry

Simtech

Quote from: hwew on January 21, 2012, 08:35:26 AM
I still have the contact number from a person at Stamford/Cummins when I inquired about these about 8 months back. I'll see what I can find out.

Henry

Thanks Henry, the number I found for their USA operations (Newage Ltd) is 1-800-367-2764, they're out of Fridley Minnesota.  I hadnt called yet to ask for parts 9, 10, 13 from page 36 of the BC162 manual (2 bearing section).  Those parts are the only ones that are different from their single bearing that I could tell.

From what I understand the Stamford Newage gen heads are premium quality heads.