Any updates members? Changfa/Redstone/Chinese diesels

Started by Henry W, October 29, 2009, 05:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

Hello Members,

If you have any updates on your projects please feel free to post them.

Don't be shy, it's ok, bring what ever Changfa/Redstone/Chinese diesel projects you have hiding in the closet to show and tell. We will try to behave here. ;D

We like to hear about even the smallest things. :)

Henry

veggie

Hi Henry,

I added some wheels to my air cooled 10HP diesel to aid with portability.
This unit has been slowed down from 3500 rpm to 2500 rpm for engine life and noise reduction.
For extra "flywheel" effect at the lower rpm's, I used 3 groove sheaves even though I only needed a two groove setup.
The sheave on the engine weighs 18 pounds.
In this video, I am testing it with a 2kw load.
This unit is a prime candidate for WVO/RUG fuel blend testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXy6uQBj7YY

Cheers,
Veggie

Henry W

Hello Veggie,

Nice little setup!

Somthing like that is handy when camping or when needing quick portable power off property.

I like it. :)

Thanks for posting.

Henry

AdeV

Wow, that sounds like a demented woodpecker! Funny how fast 2.5krpm sounds like compared to the Lister(oid)...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

veggie

Henry,

You're right about the portability. The wheels allow me to roll it up the ramps into my truck.
It can produce 4kw continuous and that's plenty of power for many mobile applications.
It also provides 100% backup power for a cabin.
(I challenge anyone to try putting a 6/1 on a portable base an move it around manually) ;)

Veggie

veggie

Quote from: Jens on October 30, 2009, 09:01:29 AM
Quote from: veggie on October 30, 2009, 08:57:34 AM
(I challenge anyone to try putting a 6/1 on a portable base an move it around) ;)

Old hat .... it's all been done before.
I have a set of wheels (man sized) that attaches to Thumper's frame. That is how I got her from the garage into the engine room in the back yard.

Jens

When I see the pictures of you taking it camping, then I'll be impressed !  ;D

Veggie

Henry W

WGB

Quote from: hwew on October 30, 2009, 10:12:40 AM
Veggie,

Now you got me thinking.

Henry

Yeah thanks Veggie! Thats going to cost me money!!

Henry W

It does not have to be that costly if you look around for material.

I found a steel fabricator that throws out any piece of steel that is 3 feet or under. Last pieces of 4 inch square by 1/4 inch thick tubing was 3 dollars a piece. I try not to buy steel at market rate. I see pieces of C-Channel of aprox 12" and 16" wide there all the time.

Veggie,
If possible can you do an aprox price break down on that cute little genset. I think it will get more people intrested in making a cute little unit like yours.

Thanks again,

Henry

veggie

Here's a breakdown if everything were bought at full price.
Some of these items I had laying around, and some I traded for other items.
Both the engine and the gen head are very good quality. I wanted to build something that would give me a bit better life that some of the cheaper department store units. (and I wanted a diesel) :)

Approximate cost breakdown:
===========================

Engine (L186 10 HP diesel) : $500
Gen Head (Voltmaster 4KW, two bearing): $400
Channel steel base (Includes drilling and welded mount tabs): $150
Sheaves and Belts: $55
Fabricated Belt Guard: $65
Wheels (6" Pneumatic X 4) : $20
Total $1140

More information and specs available here for anyone interested in building a tough little portable....
http://www.logicworks.ca/launtop.htm

Cheers,
Veggie

Henry W

Quote from: Jens on October 31, 2009, 07:36:12 AM
Quote from: hwew on October 31, 2009, 06:46:46 AM
I found a steel fabricator that throws out any piece of steel that is 3 feet or under. Last pieces of 4 inch square by 1/4 inch thick tubing was 3 dollars a piece. I try not to buy steel at market rate. I see pieces of C-Channel of aprox 12" and 16" wide there all the time.

Be sure to feed that fabricator fresh donuts any time you go there - you have hit the mother lode !!!

Jens

That is a good idea!
Thanks,

Henry

Henry W

Hello Veggie,

Thanks for posting the info.

For what you spent on the project it is less than a cheap 3600 rpm diesel genset. And it should last much longer. The simple design makes it easy to work on. I like it

Henry

WGB

Quote from: hwew on October 31, 2009, 06:46:46 AM
It does not have to be that costly if you look around for material.

The metal and fabrication I have covered! Even have some nice wheels.
The engine and gen head is the big ticket!
I asked Bob about a Changfa clone I'm looking at and saw a Gen head for 299.99 for Harbor Freight.
I might be building a real pile of crap!
Anyone want to comment on the Harbor Freight heads?
Veggies Voltmaster head looks first class and reasonable.
I just want to see how cheap I can build one for.