Homebuilt starter works well even under compression!

Started by mbryner, December 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbryner

Chevy 350 starter & flexplate, mounted to 1" square stock steel, lagged to 4x6 timbers.   Spins like engine isn't even there!   Now my wife can go down and turn the switch.   Presto.   :)

(Pictures coming....too late tonight and listerenginegallery broken...)
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Carlb

Is this a gear reduction starter or the old style straight shaft ?
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

mbryner

Old style straight shaft,  reverse drive ("marine" style), mounted out the back of the flywheel.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

mbryner

Tom Reed

Nice!!! But how much compression is left on the engine? IIRC it was getting low and hard to start. Man I need to get a lathe, I've got a nice flywheel and starter from an International Harvester in the basement ready to go.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

LowGear

Looks nice and smart (simple).  Moving pictures on Youtube?

Casey

mbryner

QuoteBut how much compression is left on the engine?

Well, this morning after sitting all night in the cold, it started right up w/ the electric starter.   Maybe 4-5 compressions, but that's not bad.   I may have overestimated the loss of compression and it may be a little more difficult to start just due to the cold.   When it's not ice cold outside the 'roid still usually starts on the first compression.

QuoteMoving pictures on Youtube?

Soon.   The only video I have is from the cell phone, and it wasn't pretty...

quinnf

Man, Marcus, looking at that starter arrangement, I hope you don't have a long-tailed cat that likes to snoop around looking for mice in there!

I gave my Toyota starter/friction drive a whirl last week and found it cranks through compression just fine, but the 20 durometer roller I used sheds rubber like a pencil eraser.  And the hinge I used twists, so I need to machine something more beefy and use a harder rubber/urethane roller.

Quinn

sailawayrb

mbryner

Here's the youtube video.   I forgot to turn on the fuel rack at first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utVBWjJBGU

Thanks sailawayrb.   Are you still coming down this direction in the next few days?

Quinn, no cat's in there, but it looks like a great way to make a bobcat!   :)

Ronmar

That is great Marcus!  The electric start on the ChangChai S1100 I am prepping is starting to get me spoiled, so that will probably be a not to distant mod to the 6/1 also...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

veggie

Marcus,

Nice job on the starter.
I love the sound of a 6/1 when run at the lower speeds such as you are doing.
Ticking over like a swiss (er...Indian) watch   :D

cheers,
veggie

sailawayrb

Quote from: mbryner on December 17, 2011, 09:36:14 AM
Thanks sailawayrb.   Are you still coming down this direction in the next few days?
Yes, will be driving down on 22nd and returning on 2nd.  We be celebrating Xmas eve and our wedding anniversary eve on 31st at Porters.  Gayle has to work virtual in Medford Tuesday-Thursday (and we only have one vehicle).  Otherwise, we are pretty much free and will give you a call.  Our Rogue River landline is 541-826-7222.

Bob B.

SteveU.

Hey MarcusB
Great job on the square tube mounting on this GM pad mounted starter. I have never seen it done this way.
Anyone not "up agasinst the wall" as you are could opposite mount and use a normal CW car/pickup starter.
Your machined crankshaft shaft to flexplate/flywheel adapter looks like another machine 'em/supply 'em opportunity for someone here with, say the ability to machine up hollow dip tubes and offset idler bolts.

Regards to the family in this season of reason
SteveU.
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

mbryner

My whole setup is not very refined and kind of Rube Goldberg, nothing like what most of you guys build!, but thanks for the kind comments.   SteveU, that's a great idea.   Someone here could mill up these adapter collars and sell 'em.   I took the flexplate and a bent crankshaft down to Alternative Power and Machine here in town and they matched it no-problem.   It wasn't cheap, and it's fabricated from a solid hunk of aluminum.