News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Picked up my EBay winnings today

Started by Tom Reed, November 29, 2011, 04:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Reed

The good. Most of it was there, including the manuals. Lots of spare parts and tools. Radiator cooled. Best of all was the included pop tester!
The bad. It was not a S1100 8kw unit as advertized. It as a 195nm with a 7kw monarch 2 pole head. So it would be about a 6.25 kw machine at best. The exhaust flange is missing and there is a bunch of RTV on the access covers, so someone's been into it. No fuel tank and the dog house that protects the now open end of the generator is missing.

Looking at it I'd guess there is around a thousand hours on it.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

LowGear

Hi Tom,

So do you feel it was "liar, liar, pants on fire" or just wistful ignorance?  

Interesting anti-rock stabilizer or is that a belt tension gismo.  Food for thought either case.

Casey

Tom Reed

Not even to the level of wistful ignorance. They had paper work there for the advertized unit, I think Hardy diesel pulled a switch a roo on them. Their sales sheet shows the 8kw unit as the smallest available.

The only external way to tell was to look at the tiny hard to read 7 kw on the gen head data plate. Was supposed to be a 12 wire gen head too.

The engine is a Chang Chi.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

bschwartz

Grrrrr..... A 195 is what I've been looking for.  Perfect size, and IDI.
If you decide you don't want it.....  ::) ::) ::)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

admin

at see level that engine can make all of 7.5kwatt if you lose the radiator, add an electric w/pump, a real radiator, t stat, pressure cap
and run it at 1800rpm,,, that driving an st7.5

mine will do a touch over 8kwatts electrical with just a bit of gray smoke, not black.

bob g

Tom Reed

I was kind of surprised to find that there is no battery charging system on an electric start generator. Although I'd assume it was just a 2 or 3 amp unregulated trickle charge.

When using one of these engines for generator duty, do you have to reset the throttle position after every shut down? The instructions I have say to set the throttle to the stop position to shut down. Any more elegant way to stop this thing?

Also I need an exhaust flange. I just want to go to 1 1/2" npt. Anyone know if a Taco pump adapter will work?

And to do co-gen I'll need the adapter plate for hose fittings. Where can one of these be had? I see George at Utterpower was making some nice cast iron ones with a thermostat, but they don't seem to be available any more.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Tom Reed

It runs! But it took a bit of work to make it run. The first major issue was that the governor arm was stuck. Pulled the side cover to see what was up and discovered the problem was the rack on the IP. Pulled the pump apart and found bits of paint jamming it up. The paint probably came from the painted banjo bolt with the peeling paint INSIDE THE FITTING!

Got the injection system bled, hooked up a battery and fired it up. She fired right off but ran real rough and with no exhaust was loud. So I made an exhaust flange out of some 3/8" plate that was around and put the supplied muffler on a short stack and fired it up. It smoked like a banshie and blew all the acorns out of the muffler that the pack rat in it. I did notice it rattled a bit.  ::)

After a bit, and quite a bit of acorn parts, the exhaust cleaned up and the governor settled down. Then it was time for the acid test, hooked up a multi-meter and YES it makes power!

Oh yea, here's where it came from http://www.rockpilevineyard.com/
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

bschwartz

Looking at the fuel tank, the Chang Chi wishes it were a listeroid...  ::)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Tom Reed

I did some load testing, but first it would not start without a bit of either. It was cranking good too. Smoked a lot on start and then cleared up after a bit. The injector might need cleaning.

Wired up a couple of outlets to the gen head and had power on both of them and 240 across the hots on both outlets. So far so good. Plugged in a couple of electric heaters and loaded it down with about 2800 watts of load. Voltage dropped for a bit and corrected back to 120v. After running a bit the gen head seemed a bit warm. On inspection through the vent holes I found that all the blades on the cooling fan have broken off. Sigh, it's going to take a bit of work and $ to make this generator useful.

And yes the engine does sound like a barrel 1/2 full of hammers rolling down a hill.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

admin

"And yes the engine does sound like a barrel 1/2 full of hammers rolling down a hill."

such sweet music!  huh?

:)

bob g

Tom Reed

ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

vdubnut62

Quote from: Tom on December 01, 2011, 06:30:56 PM

And yes the engine does sound like a barrel 1/2 full of hammers rolling down a hill.

Must be a "good 'un" then. :D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Ronmar

Mine sounds like it is only about 1/4 full of hammers...  Should I add a few?
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

playdiesel

Quote from: Ronmar on December 02, 2011, 12:18:16 PM
Mine sounds like it is only about 1/4 full of hammers...  Should I add a few?

;D ;D ;D
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate