News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Change Over Valve Installation Question

Started by Dave, November 21, 2011, 04:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I am re-installing the change over valves. I have a silly question as to the process. When you are putting them back in, do you preset the screw on the change over valves all the way in or out? I preset the screws all the way in.

How do you know when they are seated properly?

I have obviously done something wrong. One cylinder screws in to the end of the threads and feels like it can keep going. That one spits fire even when it's in the running position. The other one is loose even after tightening.

When I had these out, the mating surfaces weren't even close on the plunger part that fills in the void hole on the combustion chamber

I am thinking of getting rid of them all together and getting the glow plug version. Anybody have one of these?

Dave

cujet

I'd leave the screw in the mid position and thread in the housing. Nice and tight. Only then would I tighten the screw.

I took mine out. They leak, They don't seal right, they vibrate loose, and the engine runs no better with them. I installed the common replacement plug.

Dave

Thanks Cujet. Where did you get your plugs? Did you consider the glow plug version?

cujet

I think Rocketboy or horsepoor got the plugs for me as a favor in exchange for some machine work. I did not source them myself.

Here in roasting hot, South Florida, glow plugs are not necessary, so I never considered it. I think the temperature will get down to the upper 70's this winter.

veggie

Dave,

These guys have the plugs.
Worked perfect on my 6/1.
http://www.generatorsales.com/order/lister-parts.asp

veggie

PS: They also sell the plugs with an integeral Glow Plug.