News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Fairbanks Morse ZC

Started by cschuerm, October 23, 2011, 06:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cschuerm

Picked up a pretty nice Fairbanks ZC346 this weekend and think it might be the start of an interesting generator package.  It's 18HP at 350 RPM so fills my interest in slow speed engines quite nicely.  I think I'll set it up to run on propane after I complete a total restoration back to new condition.  It's in good running shape right now, just a little ugly.
Should be a fun new project!
chris

admin

sweeeet!

look forward to seeing more of the old girl

bob g

LowGear

I now know what total envy feels like.  What an incredible machine.  Which millennium and what galaxy did this thing come from?  WOW!

What is the bore and stroke?

Casey

cschuerm

I have not found a good reference of serial numbers to determine the exact year of mfgr, but I'm guessing it's in the early 50's.   Although it's certainly an old, large, flywheel engine, it is a fairly modern design with pressure lubrication, roller bearing crank, etc.  Bore is 7" and stroke is 9".  Weighs about 3000lbs.  The good news is that these engines are still in wide-spread use in the oil field and are fully supported.  Every part is available new including nice things like oversize piston sets.  They're available at very reasonable prices (as long as you don't have to pay to ship them!). 
The one I got even still has the clutch assembly and multi belt drive system on the side so it probably came off an oil well.

Great fun!
Chris

vdubnut62

Well color me green with envy. ::) Not enough engine powered  oil wells in the Land of TVA, everything is run by an electric motor.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

BioHazard

Quote from: vdubnut62 on October 24, 2011, 05:26:37 PM
Well color me green with envy. ::) Not enough engine powered  oil wells in the Land of TVA, everything is run by an electric motor.
Ron

Hell, we don't even have oil wells.  ::)
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

cschuerm

Clearly I need to round up a few dozen of these thumpers for my microcogen buddies.  They're thick here in Oklahoma.  Some places there's dozens in a square mile still crankin' away on pumpjacks. 
Maybe I need to start buying them all up before the price of scrap iron gets any higher and they all end up being shipped to china!

chris

LowGear

18 HP at 350 RPM.  Wow!

Where were they made?

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: cschuerm on October 25, 2011, 05:11:30 PM
Clearly I need to round up a few dozen of these thumpers for my microcogen buddies.

Indeed! The shipping would be killer but I'd kill to have something like that to play with!  ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

cschuerm

These engines were made in the good old USA by Fairbanks Morse.  This specific model is no longer in production, but you can purchase a new engine that is very similar from Arrow for big dollars.  If anyone is seriously interested, I can probably scrounge up some more of the Fairbanks models though for very reasonable prices.  Just might take me a bit.  There are five sizes of the "ZC" engine:
ZC-118 - 7hp 400-700 RPM
ZC-208 - 12hp 400-700 RPM
ZC-346 - 18hp 350-375 RPM
ZC-503 - 24hp 300-525 RPM
ZC-739 - 36hp 300-525 RPM

Most came set up with a gasoline start tank and were run on propane or natural gas.  In field service, they generally have a radiator mounted on the top of the cylinder and used convection flow for cooling.

chris

LowGear

So do they make the earth move, helping the oil find its way through the earth, when they power stroke or does their own mass just hold them still?

OK.  I'm not actually going to buy one now that I have Mr. Happy on the carport but what an adventure one would be.  "Hey baby, wanna see my Fairbanks - in action."

Casey

vdubnut62

Do they come in diesel flavors? ;D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

billswan

Quote from: cschuerm on October 26, 2011, 06:09:37 AM
If anyone is seriously interested, I can probably scrounge up some more of the Fairbanks models though for very reasonable prices. 
chris

Chris

What is considered a reasonable price for an 18 hp like you found?
And just what part of oklahoma might I have to go to get it?
Now lets see how many miles is it from Minnesota to Oklahoma? ::) ::)

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

DanG

Ones similar to the 7 or 12 listed above I'm interested. Minnesota here also, halve the costs :)

LowGear

QuoteDo they come in diesel flavors? Grin
Ron

Casey