News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Oil Dipper Orientation

Started by veggie, October 27, 2009, 10:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Hi,

I have some conflicting information about the orientation of the oil dipper on the big-end of a 6/1 connecting rod.
My manual states that the dipper should be positioned with the narrow part hitting the oil so that it "knifes" through the lubricant.
However, I have seen many pictures of the dipper positioned with the wide part hitting the oil "broadside".
My own engine arrived "broadside" despite the manual that came with it.
At the moment, I have repositioned it to knife the oil.
Can anyone clarify this issue before I do a final bolt-up and start the engine.?

Thanks,
Veggie

First picture "Knife Edge"
Second Picture "Broadside"

Carlb

Mine is Knife edge and everything I have read indicates that knife edge is the correct orientation.

carl.
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

XYZER

All positions have been tried and I have not heard of problems either way. One observation I happened across was when I installed a oil slinger on a basic 6/1 that pressure fed oil to the rod bearing. It never would stop the slobber or using oil. I never got it to break in like my other splash type 6/1's. It usually takes 8-25 hours with a good load on it before they settle down. The 6/1 with the oil slinger just would not break in so I disconnected the supply and walla it settled down and the rings seated. I am thinking (OH OH) to much oil on the initial break in will prevent or stall the rings from seating in...maybe maybe not.....Now that it has settled down I'm going to start supplying oil to the slinger again and see what it does. The slinger will supply lots of fresh filtered to the rod main which will sling off to the piston and cylinder walls and maybe too much oil.... So....maybe knife edge for break in and flat after....???!
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

aqmxv

FWIW, the Indians set mine up knife-edge on at the factory.  I'm going with a XYZER dipper, so orientation becomes pretty obvious...

dubbleUJay

Does someone have a link for the XYZER dipper with pictures somewhere?
Other things I'm battling to find "original" posts about is: The Mr.X Balancing Method

On my wish-list: One place were all "known to work" modifications, old and new, were documented like in the white paper area! ;)
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

XYZER

I am out of dippers and if the there is a demand increase may make more......

cgwymp

Quote from: XYZER on November 13, 2009, 07:21:00 AM
I am out of dippers and if the there is a demand increase may make more......

If you have a waiting list, please add my name!
Listeroid 8/1

mike90045

I'll sign on for a dipper too !  Not sure which size yet, for a Metro.  Any reason I would want a spare?

So, do these go in with threadloc, or what keep them from backing out ? Indian thread pitch?

dubbleUJay

Thank you very much XYZER, 1st time I see them up close!
You should put this picture in the White Paper section so new guys can find it in the future, I'm sure you'll get more orders that way.

Which one would you recommend, or have been ordered by people before, for an original Lister CS Single if I may ask ???

I presume they wont be $16.50 to South Africa though!  :'(
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

quinnf

Dave,

Seems like this would be a good time to beat the drum.  They'd make a great stocking stuffer for Christmas.  Mebbe a not-too-discrete hint to the wife or S.O. . . .

Quinn

cgwymp

Quote from: cgwymp on November 13, 2009, 08:08:19 AM
If you have a waiting list, please add my name!

I'm taking a half day of vacation to get caught up on some chores, but I decided to see how my dipper was oriented.  I had recalled it being round, but thought, "Nah, that can't be right."

Turns out is round -- because it's a tube!  The bottom of it is angle-cut, facing the direction of rotation.  Certainly not as elegant as xyzer's, but looks like someone ran with the idea.

I'd still like to stay on the list, though.  ;-)
Listeroid 8/1

Crumpite

Yep, sign me up for one.

It sounds like a cheap way to improve the big end bearing life.

Daryl

Carlb

I'll take one also and an offset idler bolt.

carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

XYZER

Quote from: dubbleUJay on November 13, 2009, 10:30:53 AM
Which one would you recommend, or have been ordered by people before, for an original Lister CS Single if I may ask ???

I presume they wont be $16.50 to South Africa though!  :'(

dubbleUJay,
If your Lister has no oil pump and is splash it take a 3" if it has a oil pump and front sump it takes a 2". I think I might have a 3" laying around.

lowspeedlife

guys, If I remember correctly you will also need the un-groved rod bearings from JohnF to make these work, but very worth the effort !

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age