Main Menu

Micro Nuclear Reactors

Started by Lloyd, October 18, 2011, 03:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

With 2 new Micro Nuclear Reactors builders coming to market, what's up

1. Toshiba Micro Nuclear Reactors

2.  http://www.nuscalepower.com/nr-News-NuScale.php
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

deeiche

nuke is pretty much DOA since Fukashima

FWIW here is another small design, Hyperion Power Module.

Lloyd

From what I read so far Japan is going ahead with testing of the Toshiba unit as result of the Fukashima, prior to they felt it was to small. Now the thinking is using it in a Distributed Grid application.

They are inherently safer, and by being distributed, less likely to suffer from localized disasters.

It would be interesting, and they are already being funded for testing in the US.

lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Ronmar

I have heard that also.  Smaller, more distributed, less fragile maintenance systems(more earthquake resistant) and easier to contain...  Getting away from the "all your eggs in one basket" scenario.  In Japans case, there is no way around it.  They must have nuke power...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"