News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Save your engines

Started by dieselfox, October 18, 2011, 08:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieselfox

Gentlemen / Ladies

Is this hype or is there something to it?   Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klcBRnyCSvo

Dieselfox

admin

who makes the filter?

fleetgard?

if so it won't take long for someone here to get there hands on one and give it a real world test.

bob g

Tom Reed

I used to do the same demo when I was a factory rep for the Motorguard filters.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

dieselfox

Tom

Was it a special Motorguard filter or the regular run of the mill car/truck filters?

Dieselfox

squarebob

I filter my WMO thru a series of filters, 30 and 10 on its way to a holding tank, then 5 and 2 into a storage tank, then finally thru a 1 micron filter in 5 gallon batches for use. The oil is the same color as when it started.

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

Tom Reed

DieselFox,

It was a system for filtering vacuum pump oil. The TP roll filters was Northern TP on a plastic core. There was a pressure and a gear motor pump all for the low, low price of $1k..... in 1982!
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

TimSR2

I remember being out on my uncle's fishing troller in about 1973; his Detroit Diesel had an aftermarket oil filter that used a roll of paper towels as  a  core. I remember well because I helped him change it..... 

LowGear

This same video is on another thread.  So I'll write about the same thing here as there:

"It was nice to hear a spec on how small most automobile filters go.  I wonder if the cheaper ones get the smaller stuff or the standards are just less reliable?

I have one of those canister style oil filters where the element slides inside a filter can like pre full-flow automobile filters.  What would happen if I put one of these filters on my engine?  Or just converted to the spin on filter system - Any advantage?

Casey"

dieselfox

LowGear

I really don't have an answer to your question.  It all comes down to flow and filtering size.  If the video is right and all these large diesel engine companies, CAT, MACK, CUMMINS, DETROIT DIESEL, indicate a the 4 to 7 micron size particulates (which makes the oil black), are the most damaging to the engine, you will need a filter can catch this size of particles.

I drive a diesel car and the oil is always black.  To eliminate wear I use a fully synthetic oil.  Here I have just been piss.... in the wind.  Well the diesel engine I am rebuilding is not one I will trade like a new car.  It is at least 45 years old.  I has cost me dearly to purchase, and rebuild.  The point - I want it to last another 40 years.  I know it will because it is over built and can if I put the right filtering system on it, and then make sure there is oil in the bearings before I start it up (another large cause of wear).  

If done right, it should last forever.

Anyway, I have been doing some research and if you want to search it out, there are what they call Dual Bypass Filtration Systems.  I might put one on my car now I know better.  I just wanted to share what I have learned with everyone because I know there are those who feel about their engines the way I do.

Dieselfox

SHIPCHIEF

Sorry to pop your balloon, but your diesel is not going to last forever.
You might slightly increase the life.
Usually a diesel is near the end of it's service life when it becomes hard to start.
That is a cylinder sealing problem. Rings or valves.
Clean oil has no effect on valve contact wear.
Valve guides don't get much oil either. They usually have seals on them to keep oil out.
Piston rings get most of their abuse at the top of their travel, where there is almost no oil, and that oil is scorched & contaminated with combustion byproducts at every cycle, then shoved downward by blowby then the oil control ring.
I have an oil bypass filter, also a full flow filter, and oil temperature control too. I hope they add life, but don't expect miracles.

dieselfox

SHIPCHIEF

I agree with everything you have stated.  I wish I had your set up.  I am a long way off from where you are.

I can replace the piston and rings, and valve guides fairly easily and plan on doing that.  It is just when I have to tear down the engine to pull the crank shaft because the main bearings are worn, for no good reason, that I start thinking there has to be a better way.  

You left out 70 percent of the engine,(gears, camshafts, oil pump etc).  When they are worn out or get lose, well you are really hosed.

I have some pics of main bearings I would like to show you.  How do you display images anyway? Can't figure that out.  
When I cleaned the housing out, there were little flakes of metal in the bottom.  They had no idea oil filtration was necessary for these small engines.  The throw away mentality of our society - I just don't understand.

Anyway thanks for your input.  Again I agree with you.  Sometimes it is hard to stare reality in the face.

Dieselfox.

vdubnut62

To post a pic, type your reply, then click the additional options down at the lower left of the message box,
that will bring up a menu that allows  up to 4 attachments with a max size of 750 kb.  I use Picasa, a free program by Google to resize my pics, you may have a different favorite, but anyway, that's the gist of it.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

While I was stumbling around this video I cam across this other one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIx4Y3TvAPk&feature=related

Pretty interesting huh?

Casey

dieselfox

Here are some pics of a single cylinder diesel engine, with a wire screen filter.  Did a lousy job as you can see in the main bearings and piston bearing.

Dieselfox

Tom Reed

Those deep gouges don't look like they were caused by 10 micron or smaller dirt, it looks more like sand.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom