News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Air starter

Started by fabricator, October 09, 2011, 02:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricator

Well the 8/1 has a 4 hp air starter now, beats the hell out of cranking, it won't crank against compression though.
The plumbing needs to be a little more elegant but it works for now.

Ronmar

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Carlb

Is that a Gast 4am air motor?
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

fabricator

I'm not sure what it is, I got it from a local industrial surplus outfit, he had a skid of em and said they were all 4 hp, if it's not a gast it's almost an exact copy, it's all cast iron, heavy as hell.

mbryner

Looks cool.   Too bad it won't push through compression...   Did you need it to or are you going to automate the compression release?
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

fabricator

I think I'm gonna automate the compression release and the fuel lever, sooner or later I'm gonna have a Xantrex 4024 inverter and I want it to be able to start the roid when the batteries drop to a preset level.

fabricator

I think I'm gonna try a surge tank next, like a 20-30 gallon tank close to the engine, right now the air in the lines coming from the compressor is the surge volume, maybe if I have a larger volume right next to the motor it may be enough to turn it over without decompressing.

Carlb

I don't think it is going to do it.  I put a 4hp air motor on my listeroid  several years ago and I have a 50 gallon main tank plumed to a 30 gallon tank with 1" pipe  very close to the air motor and it still won't get it over compression.

Carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

fabricator

Well that experiment was easy............for me ;D

mike90045

How about " gearing down " to a smaller wheel on the air motor ?
  I thought some other member was able to 'crank through' compression with his air starter.

fabricator

Well, I started with a 5" caster wheel and it pretty much wouldn't even turn it over, I know it can be done because of this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXc6RgXTKrI He is not decompressing but he has a LOT of stuff in that air system that I have no idea what it is.

fabricator

Strike that! I just noticed he is decompressing! I watched that video about six times and never noticed that before. ::)

mbryner

That guy sure went whole hog.   He has other youtube videos, one of which even has a genuine Listeroid engineer from Rajkot demonstrating how the air-starter works!   :)
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

vdubnut62

I think his air start system sorta kinda borders on OCD ::)  If anything ever happens to the guy, no one will ever figure out the plumbing if something should go awry.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

veggie

Nice job,

I used the same air motor.
Works great, but the decompression must be used.
Spin it up to speed, swing the decompression lever, and let the flywheels do all the work.

veggie