News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Balancing transformer help needed

Started by Tom Reed, October 03, 2011, 03:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Reed

Quote from: mbryner on October 06, 2011, 11:45:26 AM
Note how that website says "call for price".    $$$$$    Muuuhhhaaaahhaaaaahaaaa.     (Evil laugh.)   ;)

I found the PRICE on another site. $6k for a stripper to around $$$$$$$10k for the whole shebang. It wasn't clear if the unit does a 3 stage charge or not. And since they didn't say, I'd assume it doesn't.

On a side note. During a generator run this AM the water pump kicked on, it draws about 14a 120vac and will drag the voltage on that leg down quite a bit. The transformer did it's job and voltages stayed fairly balanced, it did get a bit warm though (95F).
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

bschwartz

Gregger2k and Yellowhead,

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!  It made power!!  The key was connecting pin 12 to pin 16.
Glad I didn't junk this thing.

It made 47.9V.

So, next question.    What do I adjust to bring the voltage up?
I think if I directly connect it to the battery bank at 52.5 volts, the Outback will invert it and turn my meter backwards at night (like it normally does with the solar panels during the day).

After answering that question, please give me a mailing address to send the beer  ;D ;D ;D
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

mike90045

Quote from: bschwartz on October 06, 2011, 06:02:46 PM
...After answering that question, please give me a mailing address to send the beer  ;D ;D ;D

Can't you just pour it into the intertubes ?

bschwartz

I found the trimmer pot.  it is inside the case about 1/2" to the left of the positronic connector.

Easily adjusted the voltage up to 52.5.

Now I just need to figure a way to safely connect everything to test.  This may take some more time, but I think this has the potential to convert listeroid 240V AC power to a clean stable input for my grid tie outback.  It may not be the most efficient, but it will be an interesting experiment for anyone wanting to safely (with the anti-islanding grid tie inverter) turn their electric meter backwards.  Legality is between you and your power company  ::) ::)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

gregger2k

I'm glad to hear you got it working.  I might have to pick one of these up for myself, the power factor correction should be kind to the generator and keep the winding losses down.

You might try to add 1 or 2 small forward biased diodes between the output and the sense terminal. This should simulate a voltage drop in the wiring and raise the output .7 volts per diode. I don't know how much correction the unit is able to provide but you must stay below the over voltage protection set point or it will shut down. Might be worth a try anyway.