Help!! I'm joining the higher speed diesel club.....

Started by bschwartz, August 11, 2011, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bschwartz

Been happy with my listeroid for about 2.5 years now, but couldn't pass up on something else to play with.
Just bought this from a guy on fleabay...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK-KsddsrcQ
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Tom Reed

Well if you repent and ask forgiveness it may be granted.  ;) I bought one of the 10 hp Launtop air cooled 3600 rpm engines last spring. It's sitting in the basement waiting to repower a '63 Bolens Husky 800 garden tractor. What are your plans for the new engine?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

bschwartz

I have to confess .   I don't have any plans .  I just wanted 1 to play with .  ;D ;D
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

Oops.... I also just realized that when I posted this (from my cell phone) that I clicked on the wrong forum......

Sorry guys, this was supposed to go in the changfa-la-la-ding-dong section.

Maybe I can turn this into a small enough generator to be portable, to haul with our 18' travel trailer.
It would be nice to power the trailer (as well as the towing Suburban) with WVO.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

Henry W

AdeV

Heh, those are some frisky horses... but you'll get bored of that "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" noise, you'll be back to the Shrine of Lister before you know it...  ;D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

bschwartz

I just got the engine today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130557687685?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_950

He said it was a 6HP engine, but upon close inspection, it is an R170  (only 4.5 HP)
I had to really look hard and found the R170 on the cyl head.

I paid $525 including shipping which cost him about $225.

How long after startup should the exhaust run clear?  "Looks to have very low hours" doesn't seem honest by my view as this looks old!

What would you do in my shoes?  Tell him to come pick it up and give me a refund?  Say, "hey, it was cheap enough", Ask for a partial refund, as it isn't a 6HP engine as he advertised (if so how much refund)?
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

Henry W

I would try to get a hundred bucks back and if he does not want to do that ask for a refund.

bschwartz

I emailed him with the following:

I received the engine yesterday. Thanks for the quick shipping.
But...... This isn't a 6 HP engine!!! it is only 4.5 HP.

I was cleaning off some of the dirt, and saw R170 on the cylinder head which is this engine
http://cy-engine.en.hisupplier.com/product-613753-diesel-engine.html

His reply:

Hello, we tested this 6.2 HP @ 3600RPM we also stated Make unknown. However You may pay return shipping & we will be happy to give You a refund less shipping & return Shipping. Thanks Dan & Vicky
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

deeiche

Quote from: bschwartz on August 19, 2011, 08:26:31 PM
SNIP
His reply:

Hello, we tested this 6.2 HP @ 3600RPM we also stated Make unknown. However You may pay return shipping & we will be happy to give You a refund less shipping & return Shipping. Thanks Dan & Vicky
GRRRRR, you could dispute it with PayPal.  They flat out lied.

I have two paypal accounts, one that is backed by my AmEx card for large value auctions.  It came in handy once.  PayPal did not dispute the AmEx charge back, passed it on to the seller.

Carlb

I agree with Deeiche,

I would dispute this with paypal on the grounds that the item that you were sold was misrepresented and demand my money back.  If they want their engine they need to make arrangements to get it back at no cost to you.

Carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

billswan

bschwartz

I also bought a misrepresented item on ebay, thought I was buying a fire extinguisher, and a bracket to hold a fire extinguisher showed up, a total misrepresentation by the seller.

I complained but it was not until I asked for help from ebay then I did get back all my money and they the seller paid shipping both ways. I don't think it was a bait and switch just a very sloppy run ebay store with way to many items and way to few people watching over the store.

Shipping is the big problem for you and the seller, he is going to really squirm if you and ebay squeeze him.
Looks like he has a 100% perfect score to protect and about 926 sales so he has made some money selling stuff on ebay.

Good luck, keep us informed this might get real interesting.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

bschwartz

I sent him the following reply to him .....

"The R170 is a size (4.5HP) engine made by many manufacturers, just like Duracell and Everready both make AA batteries.
The engine is designed to put out 4.5HP at 2600 RPM.  Reving the engine to 3600 RPM (dangerous) to put out 6.2HP does not change the fact that it is a 4.5HP engine.  Asking me to pay shipping both ways is tantamount to saying that you get the engine back, but I'm out my full $525.  I believe in fairness, a partial refund would be more reasonable.  I would be willing to settle for a $125 refund, or you may pay shipping both ways, as it was your error."

I carefully read Ebays, "protection" policies, and they say:

"If we resolve an item not as described case in the buyer's favor, we will in most circumstances ask the buyer to return the item to the seller before we refund the buyer and try to recover the refund amount from the seller. In those cases, we'll ask the buyer to promptly provide a shipping tracking number to us. For items valued over $250, we'll also require the buyer to provide signature confirmation. Return shipping will be at the buyer's expense."

That would be HALF of what I paid!!!

Ebay also says:

":Once a buyer selects a system (eBay, PayPal, another payment provider, or chargeback) they are required to use that system for the duration of the case."

So if I use their "protection" system, and succeed, I MAY get half my money back after wasting a day to ship this thing back.  If Ebay finds in his favor..... too bad for me.

I will wait for his response, and if he is not willing to offer a partial refund, I will go straight to the credit card company, and demand a FULL refund.  He did after all offer me "free shipping"  ::)
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

veggie

I wonder how (if) they actually tested the engine at 3600 rpm.  ???
I doubt the engine could achieve that speed.
IIRC 2600 is the upper safe limit for these engines. Maybe 2800 but only for peak and short duration.

veggie

BioHazard

Start the paypal claim process immediately. If you paid through a credit card, complain with them, they WILL do a chargeback, and you will get your money. If you just paid with a paypal balance, you might get a refund.

As a seller I've had people do multiple bogus chargebacks on me through their credit card, paypal doesn't care, they just take the seller's money AND an additional chargeback fee. The credit card company doesn't even bother to ask the seller's side of the story. As such I won't accept a PayPal CC payments on anything expensive...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?