News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

torcman 12v 20/30amps generator/charger.

Started by wiebe, June 21, 2011, 01:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiebe

Some is in us en some in german .but google wil translate.

http://www.torcman.de/index_e.htm

Greetings wiebe.
kubota knd3

BioHazard

Very interesting. The german-english translation is very entertaining to read but a bit hard to understand. It appears they are using a 3 phase model airplane motor as a DC generator? I really like the idea, I think those motors are rather cheap and powerful.

wiebe - can you translate any better about how they control the amperage/voltage? It looks like it's just manually controlled by the throttle speed? I don't understand what the rotary switch is for...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

BioHazard

I'm a bit confused about what kind of motor they are using for a generator, would something like this work?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7871

I am *VERY* interested in building a small battery charger that doesn't rely on an automotive alternator....

wiebe

Quote from: BioHazard on June 22, 2011, 04:24:51 AM
Very interesting. The german-english translation is very entertaining to read but a bit hard to understand. It appears they are using a 3 phase model airplane motor as a DC generator? I really like the idea, I think those motors are rather cheap and powerful.

wiebe - can you translate any better about how they control the amperage/voltage? It looks like it's just manually controlled by the throttle speed? I don't understand what the rotary switch is for...

The amps are controlled by the rpm .
The man that made the generator wrote that when fueltank runs out of fuel,and stops thats the controller hihi.
And that it is used like this just to get youre battery,s up when they are empty .
Not as a perfect charger.

The switch is for star and triangle ?????star is 10 amps low rpm ,triangle for high rpm 20 amps .
If you chek the specs of the used motor with one from hobbyking is not that expensive.

Greetings wiebe.
kubota knd3

BioHazard

Obviously I don't know much about these motors. How do you power one with a battery in a model if it's a 3 phase motor?  ???

Cornelius

Quote from: BioHazard on June 22, 2011, 10:09:47 PM
Obviously I don't know much about these motors. How do you power one with a battery in a model if it's a 3 phase motor?  ???

They need a pwm controller that feeds each phase with a pulse in the right sequence. 3 phase motors that runs from a DC battery are more and more used now. One example would be my bike motor... ;)

wiebe

Quote from: BioHazard on June 22, 2011, 10:09:47 PM

There are on the hobbycity website a lot of brushless esc,s.
And cheap to ,but is youre order something look is it is in stock.
Stockking can take weeks there.
There are some nice cheap amps/mah/watts/volt meters there and led strips in color.

Greetings Wiebe.
kubota knd3

Derb

Hi Fellas. Go to Google and check Fisher and Paykel Smartdrive washing machine motor generator conversions. Echo innovations have a free instruction manual on how to covert them. I have just finished one and they are free and simple (listen fellas - if I can do it anyone can). Permanent magnet 42 pole 3 phase motor. They will poke out around 1.1 kw on a good day. Slow revving and ideal for 12/24 or 48 volt systems. Heaps of info on the net and all guys are happy to help. Biggest cost so far is 3 bridge rectifiers at $3-50 each and a small tin of eurethane paint. Cheers.
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke