News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Launtop diesel engines?

Started by BioHazard, February 25, 2011, 03:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

I'm looking for a light(ish) weight air cooled diesel to build a generator for my boat. Has anybody tried "Launtop" diesels like these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-HP-Air-Cooled-Launtop-Diesel-Engine-/220734780552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364d17488

It looks like it has an oil pump but I don't see a filter? Anyone know if it has pressure lubrication or is the pump just for a filter I don't see?

Will an engine like this need to be torn down and inspected before starting like some other chinese diesels or can I just start 'er up?
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Henry W

They are very nice engines. I saw them and they are very clean and put together with real high quality parts. You do not have to take them apart. Just prep the engine like any modern new engine and follow break in instructions and you will be fine. No sand, clean, highest quality I have seen. These are made with modern equipment in a modern factory so I don't expect problems with them. I am looking to get one this year my self. They are an exact copy of the Yanmar air cooled 10hp single.

Yes they are pressure lubed and they do have an oil filter. It is just like the Yanmar. The Chinese are masters on cloning and this is a good example.

Henry

BioHazard

Are the parts interchangeable with Yanmar? Expensive I'm sure, but it would be nice to know they are available. Where is the oil filter...some kind of cartridge? I'd like to add an external 2 quart filter to add to the oil capacity and cooling.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

playdiesel

I had been yearning for one of the little 4.5 HP versions and low and behold when I had the cash in hand they all dissapeared :( 
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

LowGear

Do they make a vertical shaft model?

Casey

veggie

Biohazard,

Here's a 4kw generator I built for my father using a 10HP Launtop.
Performs very well. Seems to be a very reliable diesel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXy6uQBj7YY

veggie

deeiche

rm /

rcavictim

I'm just getting started building a small genset using the 6 HP Launtop. I want it as a secondary 2 kW source for charging my home battery bank when the JD175A is off-line for service.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.