News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Listeroid powered truck. Really.

Started by Fat Charlie, February 10, 2011, 01:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Charlie

You've got to love the thermosiphon radiator.

The guy that took the picture didn't know quite what he was looking at, reporting that it had "a diesel water pump for an engine." 
http://whitetrashrepairs.com/white-trash/first-indian-trash-repair/
Belleghuan 10/1
Utterpower PMG
Spare time for the install?  Priceless.
Solar air and hot water are next on the list.

dieselgman

Quite the jalopy! I have seen these up close and personal in India and they are just using a simple vee-belt driving the transmission via pulley. Not too safe but in India - life is cheap.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

LowGear

Show me a safe Chick Magnet and I'll show you a Honda or Chevrolet.  The chicks just can't say "No!" to a thrill.  That's why so many want to feel the big flywheels.

Casey

BioHazard

And I can't drive my truck more than a few miles with the liscense plate light burned out and not get pulled over... ::)

I wouldn't think it would be that "unsafe" given it can't possibly move more than a few MPH...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

mobile_bob

the reporter might have been correct in his assessment that the power plant is indeed a diesel water pump

over there many of those engines power water pumps, and thus are probably just associated as being diesel water pumps
rather than a more correct diesel engine powered water pump.

for all we know the engine probably came off an old water pump setup somewhere.

in any case, what a hoot!

necessity truly is the mother of invention

nothing more clearly illustrates that better than this lister powered truck.

i am picturing it winding up that deadliest highway, twisting and winding up the single lane, carrying some big ass pile of rock
or whatever on its back,, thump, thump, chugga, thump.

wheeeeeze, cough,,,,, .. ,, thump... thump...

driver with the seat sucked up his ass so far he can taste it.

:o

bob g

BioHazard

I wonder what the GVWR is on that thing?  :o
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

bschwartz

Quote from: BioHazard on February 11, 2011, 04:27:05 AM

I imagine quite a bit.  It looks like it will have a lot of suspension and braking compared to it's pull power.  So you can load it up and stop, just not go very fast.
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

AdeV

Quote from: bschwartz on February 11, 2011, 07:23:34 AM
Quote from: BioHazard on February 11, 2011, 04:27:05 AM

I imagine quite a bit.  It looks like it will have a lot of suspension and braking compared to it's pull power.  So you can load it up and stop, just not go very fast.

From what I've seen of India & driving in India (all from TV programmes, I must admit), I don't think thoughts of vehicle weight & load weight will have overly troubled the driver's/owner's mind. If it's capable of moving under its own steam, then it's not fully loaded yet. When you simply can't move it, it's overloaded: Remove the last heavy item, and presto - one fully laden truck.

This video should go some way to explaining the Indian attitude to driving (sorry for the poor quality of the video):

Their driving test is, however, quite tough:

Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

XYZER

RCA still has the HP/pound(ton) catagory won! ;D
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

dieselgman

You definitely take your life into your hands on highways in India... those videos bring back memories. I remember traveling about 1,200 km with a local chauffeur - definitely not for the faint of heart!

The craziest Lister I saw operating over there was not in a truck at all, but rather in a concrete batch plant. You could hardly tell where the pile of dirt ended and the engine started, but it just chugged along like it was made for that kind of duty.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

veggie

I had the pleasure (??) of visiting India a few times. One thing that really impressed me was how they take a two lane highway and drive four cars wide. Doors only inches from the neighboring car.
Hundreds of cars all tooting their horns to let the guy beside them know that they are there.
But....somehow it all works.

veggie

deeiche

rm /

AdeV

Quote from: deeiche on February 12, 2011, 04:15:07 PM
I would have posted this on LEF but my account was never approved.

Hmm, it was, I did it myself! Try logging in again...

BTW, I've just checked, and you're definitely registered there.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

deeiche

rm /