US EPA equirements on small biogas engines

Started by jmw, February 09, 2011, 03:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmw

I have a client who builds containerized Anaerobic Digesters. They plan to use my Biogas CHP in the UK and Europe, but they also want to build a demonstrator for the US.
Does anybody know what procedures and requirements I need to satisfy in order for the EPA to be happy with my engine?

The engine is built from an industrial Chinese diesel, with spark ignition and woodward (US) controls and gas carburettor. The EPA would not tolerate the original diesel form of this engine, but it can no longer run on diesel.

I don't want to use an automotive gasoline engine converted to gas, but I will if I have to.

Thanks for any/all help.

Mark

BioHazard

Quote from: jmw on February 09, 2011, 03:16:21 AM
I don't want to use an automotive gasoline engine converted to gas, but I will if I have to.

I've got bad news. You'll probably have to go this route. You *CAN* get any engine EPA approved, as long as it runs clean enough, however, from what I have read this requires a large fee ($20,000 maybe?) as well as (I think) 3 sample engines submitted for consideration. At least, that's what Ive read. On a small scale it is rarely economically feasible.

We would love to see some pics of your setup though!  :)

Good luck.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

jmw

I know that the EPA refused to class an engine running on vegetable oil as a vegetable oil engine. To them, a vegetable oil engine is a diesel engine running on vegetable oil, which is pretty much the truth.

I wonder if the same ruling applies to spark ignition engines. Does the EPA class a biogas engine as a gasoline engine. Does the EPA class a natural gas engine as a gasoline engine? If so, the problem is solvable. There are many gasoline engines that are EPA approved, and I can convert one of those.
However, when it comes to a biogas engine, the emissions generated are largely determined by the Digester. The engine will produces all kinds of emissions depending on what the digester gives it. Garbage in, garbage out (H2S in, Sulphuric acid out).

Anybody know of any water-cooled, EPA approved, 6kW (approx) biogas engines available in the US?

Mark

BioHazard

Well, I guess you could classify a spark ignition engine as a gasoline egine in a worst case scenario, but even then, those should be EPA-approveable. I think the major problem is just the application process, not so much the emissions. That said, I have a chinese 2 stroke generator that only cost $89, and its EPA approved. It belches smoke on startup. I don't know how they get away with it.

As for already EPA approved, mobile_bob pointed out that the Arrow K series engine is simply an indian petteroid converted to natural gas with spark ignition. They are in the $5000 range, but we are all wondering exactly how they got it approved, and if we can import similar engines based on the fact that they are copies of that which is already EPA approved.

As a more affordable alternative I would look at twin cylinder water cooled "lawnmower" engines, such as the ones I think kawasaki makes.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

DRDEATH

I know of air cooled Lister spark engines that work in the USA and Canada. There are tons of them advertised for rebuilding. I would guess their must be W/C units of the same type. I would think going in under something that is already approved then change slowly. Just my opinion. Mike
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

jmw

I'm gonna have a look at the Kawasaki option. Not sure how it's going to score on the longevity front though.

Mark

TimSR2

Kawasaki small gaspots are among the best you will find. As good or better than  Honda.   You can't go wrong with a Kawasaki. Or  a   Subaru/Robin for that matter. Japanese small commercial engines are very long lasting. All the high quality internals that dry gas engines need are a 'given'. There are no cheaply built to a price point Kawasaki's, or Robins on offer.

I have to buy myself a  new lawnmower this year.  My Jacobsen Commercial 2 stroke with a Subaru/ Robin powerhead has finally totally worn out.  I bought it  at an auction for 38 bucks, after it was  retired from a city parks dept fleet , way back in  1995.    It's a 1985 model.  I'm going to scrap it down, bet I can get my 38 bucks back for aluminum scrap value.

My new mower will have a Japanese engine on it for sure.   

dieselgman

JMW, we have 120 of the Lister HRG natural gas engines. They pre-date the EPA requirements and are therefore "legal" to run. In the past parts have been difficult to get for them but we have mostly resolved this issue and keep a very large stock of spares for them now. These are in 20 and 30 horsepower sizes, variable speed, SAE housings. Contact me if this might suit your needs!

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

DRDEATH

Mark I live in an area where numerous feed lots are around. So dry animal waste would be plentiful. It would work better than a septic system. Keep us informed how this plays out. Mike PS I also live about 60 miles from dieselgman's yard.
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

SteveU.

Hi Mark
Gary's HRG Listers are quite a deal.

You can find the excellent wc Kawasaki 750 & 850 cc V-twins here:
http://www.kawpower/engines
Kohler wc 750cc V-twin here:
http://www.kohlerengines.com
Both should be good for 3-5,000 hours with good standard oil changes. Probably 2-3X that with a quality synthetic oil. As much a longevity determiner will be how clean your fuel gas is and your cold start, restart cycles.
BUT both of these were EPA certified on Gasoline. By letter of the US EPA law ANY change in the fuel or control systems used in the original certification requires new recertification tests.
This has been used by competitors in the past to deep pocket bankrupt out their competition. GM killed AMC and IHC in the 70's with this sleight of hand.

So safest as an OEM equipment supplier to use this one that WAS Natural gas (methane = biogas) EPA certified:
Kubota DG972 (cc) wc 3 cyclinder inline spark ignition.
http://engine.kubota.co.jp
Or Google up Kubota DG972 or Kubota D1000 for direct spec pdf downloads.

Regards
Washington State Steve Unruh

"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.