News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Reid engine CHP system

Started by AdeV, January 10, 2011, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeV

Not mine, sadly.... This one -> http://www.sandersoniron.com (click here for only the chp stuff: http://www.sandersoniron.com/JoelWeb%20Page%203-studio-engine%20rm.htm)

In a nutshell, Joel is using an 1898 Reid natural gas engine (powered by a petrol/kerosene mix) to power his entire workshop - mostly by lineshafting, but there's a dynamo in there too. Water jacket heat is harvested & piped through cast radiators to heat the workshop.

Looks like a really professional - almost steampunk - setup. I now have lineshaft envy...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

LowGear

I've never seen a line shaft system I didn't want.

There is an older restaurant here that has the ceiling fans moved with a series of line shafts.  I'm always amazed how wrong our advancements in technology can be.  All's I would have to do is raise the ceilings 2 feet and then .............  ;)

Casey

vdubnut62

His workshop is so nice, neat and clean that it's disgusting :'(
But WOW nice!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

wiebe

Do i trust a handyman with a clean workspace??
There must be just some junk around not to much not to clean .
kubota knd3

mbryner

He probably spent days just cleaning to get the pictures.   Honestly though, I'm drooling: the line shafts, old engines, forge, the metalwork........   He's an exquisite artist.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

veggie

Lovely shop.
Interesting, the  engines are set on masonry brick blocks.
I'm surprised the mortar has not been pounded to sand.

veggie

vdubnut62

Quote from: veggie on January 14, 2011, 06:41:38 PM

Lovely shop.
Interesting, the  engines are set on masonry brick blocks.
I'm surprised the mortar has not been pounded to sand.

veggie

Solid block of concrete with brick veneer? What I would do anyhow.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

WGB

WGB

I thought of something.
About the time you think you're pretty crafty, you get the wind knocked out of your sails!

Geno

An interesting read on Joel's Reid. The web page loads but is not reliable to do so every time.

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/restoration/what-a-working-15-hp-reid-needs.aspx

Thanks, Geno

BioHazard

That guy clearly has too much time on his hands. ;) Just the plumbing alone is beautiful...how do you tighten threaded steel pipe like that without making all kinds of wrench marks?! I love the knob and tube wiring....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?