News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Listeroid Eccentric plunger oiling

Started by Rom, January 06, 2011, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rom

I was following along with the troubles with the CA Epa, and after looking through Veggie's site, I was wondering about the Eccentric plunger oil pump for the GM90. How reliable is this unit? And can we use the crank from a GM90 in a standard listeroid to pressurize the crankpin? Can we get them for twin cylinders?

Just a thought
Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

veggie

I just took the inspection cover off a GM90 and a 6/1
To the best of my knowledge, the cranks are not the same.
The stroke is different also.
I do not think the eccentric plunger pump could be adapted to a standard 6/1

veggie

Rom

Thank you for the reply Veggie,

No fun that I couldnt just do a quick swap, would be nice if there was a mod kit that we could mod standard engines with.

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

Crofter

Quote from: veggie on January 06, 2011, 02:14:08 PM

I just took the inspection cover off a GM90 and a 6/1
To the best of my knowledge, the cranks are not the same.
The stroke is different also.
I do not think the eccentric plunger pump could be adapted to a standard 6/1

veggie

Thanks, have been wondering too. Looks like there is a place on the crank where an eccentric could be conceivably machined but the crank must also be rifle drilled to take the oil to the throw.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

veggie

You would also need a method of anchoring the pump to the crankcase wall.
Not sure if the 6/1 has enough meat there. The GM90 has a cast boss with a locating bolt.

veggie

mobile_bob

when you break the drill bit off in the crank, let me know
i have a reference as to how they get the broken bit out of the hole

bob g

XYZER

They drill fine if you take your time with a good drill....I added a slinger system to my 6/1 that has a plunger pump. I filtered the oil to the slinger from the pump that used to lubed the timkens. I had a problem with breakin. I believe that maybe the piston was getting to much oil from the abundant oil being supplied to the bearing. Lots of oil going everywhere! I disconnected it to maybe help with breakin but have not enabled it to see if it starts to slobber again. It takes a big EDM tank to hold a Listeroid crank....even bigger if you have to stand it on end!

Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

mobile_bob

i came across a reference a while back related to deep hole drilling of crankshafts back in ww2

the company was having a significant failure rate and loss of crankshafts in the xdrilling process, broken off bits
that they couldn't get out economically

the solution?  gunpowder

one of the workers decided to try fine grade black powder (ffff grade)

he simply filled the bit flutes with gunpower and set it off, sometimes the bits came right out
sometimes it took several attempts, his success rate was quite high.

apparently you had to be careful, one of the pictures showed an oak block that he used to catch
a bit, with a bit blown clear through is 4" width.

i will look and see if i have that report and post it.

it just got my attention for being a rather interesting solution to a rather serious problem.

bob g

rcavictim

Quote from: mobile_bob on January 07, 2011, 01:29:32 AM
i came across a reference a while back related to deep hole drilling of crankshafts back in ww2

the company was having a significant failure rate and loss of crankshafts in the xdrilling process, broken off bits
that they couldn't get out economically

the solution?  gunpowder

one of the workers decided to try fine grade black powder (ffff grade)

he simply filled the bit flutes with gunpower and set it off, sometimes the bits came right out
sometimes it took several attempts, his success rate was quite high.

apparently you had to be careful, one of the pictures showed an oak block that he used to catch
a bit, with a bit blown clear through is 4" width.

i will look and see if i have that report and post it.

it just got my attention for being a rather interesting solution to a rather serious problem.

bob g

Puts a different meaning to the term "crank throw".
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.