News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Building an inverter-generator?

Started by BioHazard, December 11, 2010, 12:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

Something I've always wanted out of a generator is the ability to control the throttle speed based on electrical needs, obviously you can't do that when you're generating straight A/C. This always pushes me towards an alternator/battery/inverter combination, but it starts to get real expensive real quick and the efficiency isn't so great either. On the other hand the Chinese now are starting to sell inverter generators for quite cheap...their electronics might be good but I'm not so hot about their engines.

Anyway, something I'd love to build is an inverter generator somewhat like the Honda units. I believe they have a PM alternator, which produces varying voltage at varying RPMs, which is then fed into the inverter directly. Is that correct? Can I purchase an inverter seperately that might be suitable for such useage? What kind of voltage range do commercially available inverter-generators run on? Can I buy an inverter that will accept a wide variety of input voltages, maybe something designed for wind power?
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

wiebe

a mate en myself are having a yangke cheap generator for the examination.
Its delivery must happen some day now.
Sow we can measure some of the voltage and see whit the scope if the sinus is realy ok.hihi.
And if we can adapt the gen head to fit a honda 4 stroke .

Greetings  Wiebe.
kubota knd3

BioHazard

Quote from: wiebe on December 11, 2010, 04:03:35 AM
a mate en myself are having a yangke cheap generator for the examination.
I'd really love to know what voltages that one runs on and how it performs! I'm trying to see if I can order parts directly from Yangke but they haven't responded yet.

rl71459

I'm interested too.

I have a brand new Subaru "EH-35" 4 stroke engine I purchased for a project a few years ago but never completed the project. The engine is very nice and runs like a champ. I almost direct coupled it to an PMDC servo motor I had on hand. Thinking it could both start the engine as well as generate DC when running. (For DC Battery Charging and Mini AC Generator use Via electronics).

After thinking it thru I backed away from the Idea due to the voltage level (High DC) that the servo will produce at usable engine speeds. I also have some small 3 phase servo motors I could use. But have not yet decided what method to use for useable power conversion. (12 VDC or 60 Hz AC 120 volt...)

Maybe I can get my hands on some of the parts for the "YangKe" and adapt them to my engine. I noticed you can buy "HF Returned" 2 stroke mini generators for around 20 bucks. Maybe they could be a doner unit.

Rob

BioHazard

Something like this is basically what I want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6000w-Power-One-Grid-Tie-Inverter-Wind-PVI-6000-6kw-/170555856064?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b5ebd4c0
...except I don't need it to grid tie. They claim a 50-580 volt DC input range! Are there any smaller, non grid tie inverters available with that type of voltage input range?

rl71459

Wiebe

Did you get the generator yet?

Rob

wiebe

The gen is with a mate of mine and the output on the scope zeems to be nice .
Just let in run with one liter of 1/40 mix .
He got a nice fluke scope digital and a analog one the sine wave seems to be nice on the analog scope .
End a bit les on the digital one but the sine wave is equal so no problem he told me .
monday il get it here ,and we wil see what the input ac is on the elektronics .
He is very fond of the gen and the qaleti???mmm cant find the best words for it .

So there wil be more info and better movies.

kubota knd3

wiebe

kubota knd3