News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

New CHP system

Started by Tom Reed, November 23, 2010, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeV

That's a really tidy installtion Tom; although I always look at those multi-way manifolds with a shudder of fear - so many pipes.... so many opportunities for leaks.... still, I'm sure I'll end up with something similar one day.

How warm is the slab now?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Ronmar

I still think you need a heatex.  By mixing the flow from the two systems in a hot water tank, they will sort in the tank by temperature, so the coldest water will still be feeding the engine from the bottom of the tank, causing it to gulp, and you will still be sending potentially too hot a fluid to the slab...  You will also loose any secondary cooling that the open tank would have provided once the slab gets up to temp. The only way I can see to convert from a 195 engine temp to a 100+ slab temp is with a heatex or metering valve. IMO, you need something like this:  If the slab no longer needs the heat, the radiator fan can come on to dissipate the heat to the atmosphere...

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Tom Reed

Wow I've got a warm, ok warm spots in the basement slab!!! We're at the tail end of a long hard run today and I can feel the warmth in the slab. The temp cycles have really settled down and we are running around 110f into the slab and 80f out.

These temp gauges are really handy for diagnosing the running condition of the engine too. The earlier today the incoming temp was up to 160f at times and we were blowing black smoke, pulled the injector and found a nice chunk of carbon on the tip. Cleaned it off and the exhaust cleaned right up.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mike90045

Quote from: Tom on December 04, 2010, 07:18:20 PM
.... I can feel the warmth in the slab.
.....pulled the injector and found a nice chunk of carbon on the tip. Cleaned it off and the exhaust cleaned right up.

Nice.

What were you burning to get carboned up ?

Tom Reed

The waste hydraulic oil does it. Only have about 5 gal left and then it is on to an almost unlimited supply of WMO.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom