News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Catastrophic engine failure

Started by mbryner, November 17, 2010, 08:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

Flywheel had a few 1115's for sale in April, but I'm not sure what he has left.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mobile_bob

another thing to consider is what power level do you really need?

a 6/1 will happily make 3kwatts in most cases, and the changfa 195 will easily do twice that at 1800rpm

the changfa will not compete in efficiency with the listeroid in the 1-3kwatt load range, it will in the ~5kw range and
do better in the 6-7kwatt range.  as measured in gr/kw/hr fuel consumed.

now if your need is sub 3kwatt, the changfa running at 1800 while very capable of doing the job will not be as efficient as what
a good 6/1 is, however i am not sure that this would be the case if the engine was slowed down to 1000rpm or so.

from memory the 195  burns about 5% less per kwatt produced at the lower rpm, that likely would put the two engine's close to par with one another in the 3kw load region, the 195 will make 3kw at 1000rpm all day long.

another thing to note is there is an improvement of about 3-4% in fuel economy running 50/50 with pump diesel and waste motor oil. i don't know how this compares to the listeroid in this regard.

another option is a 175, i might be able to corner one for you, however it is no electric start, it is rated at 5.5 hp at 2600rpm
the fuel numbers are a bit higher than a listeroid, however the little engine is capable of doing some real work, and has a real oil pump with x/drilled crank too.

also a 185 might be a good fit, i have one of those however it to has no electric start.
it is rated at 9hp at 2200rpm iirc, i only have one of these and would part with it for a decent price.

also i might be able to land you a direct injected changfa clone, flying fish brand 195 electric start, i have to check with my partner
as it is his. i am in the process of procuring his stock of changfa's to add to mine. 

these engines are located in tacoma washington.

also have a 28hp twin petteroid, with waterpump and radiator!! it is rated at 28hp at 1800rpm, however it will happily run
at 1000rpm and likely a bit under as well, in my opinion the petter design is about a generation advanced to the lister.
for you i would make a heck of a deal.  i would expect it will do around 12 hp at 1000rpm without any trouble.

you mentioned running your engine at lower rpms to get the voltage down for the outback system,
does this mean you don't need to run 8-16hours a day?  do you have a battery bank to draw on?

if you can get by with shorter run times, it opens the door to some very interesting possibilities.

i haven't taken the opportunity to look over all of your website, so forgive me if i ask redundant questions.

what battery voltage are you running?  48?

bob g

mbryner

Thanks for all the info.

well, I read through Veggie's thread about slowing a Changfa down to 1000 rpm.   It's easy to change the governor spring, but adding flywheel weights is not.

Isn't having a IDI more desirable than DI for burning alternative fuels?

It appears I should look seriously at Changfa/oids.

Yes, my battery bank is 48 V.   16 x L16 batteries for approx 33 kwh of storage.    No, I don't have to do long run times.   It was requiring a longer run-time with the Listeroid because when I got the rpm's so low, it was only handling about 1600 watts charging load before the voltage dropped too low.   When the 'roid was in normal 240 VAC mode at 650 rpm, it could handle much higher load.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

DRDEATH

Marcus I just read you post. Man life can throw a few curves now and again. I have a 6 HP air cooled Petter engine that runs pretty smooth @ 1800. It's rated 6 HP @ 1000. Im not sure what it would cost for shipping to your place. If you would like to pay shipping you are welcome to use it. I don't think there should be any problem. I guess if something happens then it would have probably happened to me also. Im not using it so think about it. When you are up and running again you can send it back. No hurry. Mike, DD  PS before anyone ask because it seems to be the concern when I do something. THERE IS NO MOTIVE.
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

mobile_bob

another option might be one of the yanmar 2cylinders off of surpluscenter.com

they are a decent little engine, easy to manhandle, although if you are going to want to burn mixed fuels
you probably should filter very well.

the upside is they are available,  built to a high standard relatively speaking, decent price, adaptable to just about anything
you wanna do i would think, they also could be ran at 2400rpm or so at maybe 7.5 hp. having electric start, oil pressure and coolant temp switches alone with the fuel solenoid would provide a safe to walk away from unit.

i gotta believe they would be good for 10k hours with decent maintenance/service. 

it surely would not require a ton of crete to mount it either.

for a backup genset, one of those might make sense?

Henry sold a real peach last week that would have solved your problem in a hurry, perhaps there are others that are available?

just spitballing here trying to come up with some alternatives

bob g

Henry W

mbryner,

The direct injected S195 engines like a 50% mix of diesel and 15-40 oil. As bob mentioned  there is a Hp increase. Another benefit is it's a lot easier to de-carbon a DI engine. Oh another is they start up much easier in cold weather.

Henry

slowspeed

I got you a changfa
brand new never run
pm me Jeff
Phoenix
Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

Ronmar

Quote from: mbryner on November 18, 2010, 06:51:52 PM
hmmm.  

Did you know I had been running at only 450 rpm for weeks now?

No I didn't, I recall you talking about setting up to charge a battery bank, but the part about running the lower RPM didn't stick...  That and a high load/overload is probably your smoking gun...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

bschwartz

Mike,
  There is always a motive!!!  Your motive just happens to be kindness  :D
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

mbryner

Drdeath and slowspeed, you are very kind and I am very appreciative.  I'll know more when the parts and shipping options come in.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

XYZER

Marcus,
How are you making the needed power now? Do you have a backup?
Dave
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

mbryner

Using a little portable screamer, hotwired into the power panel where the 'roid was wired into.

XYZER

If you get in a pinch YELL! I have 3 portables 1-6/1 w/starter+160amp 12v+ST5, 1-6/1 w/st5, 1-Z482 Kubota 6000 watt. I'm up in Albany.
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

veggie

Quote from: mbryner on November 19, 2010, 02:09:20 PM
Using a little portable screamer, hotwired into the power panel where the 'roid was wired into.

Marcus,

Check the oil level in the "screamer" on a regular basis.
They tend to use oil during long duration runs.

veggie

mbryner

Thanks Veggie.   Will check oil tomorrow. 

Found a Listeroid crankshaft on the West Coast.  (Thank you JohnF, Joel Koch, and George B.)  Very happy.   ;D   
If he has all the rest of the parts, I'll be back in business shortly.   Took out the crankshaft this afternoon.   The TRB's seem to be OK, but I'll have someone else look at them.  Bronze idler gear, camshaft, etc. look OK, too.