News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Honeywell Mini Wind Turbines

Started by rl71459, November 04, 2010, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rl71459

Has anyone else seen the Honeywell Wind Turbines that are advertised in "Northern Tool & Equipment"

They claim decent KWH in a small footprint. It made me curious cause I live on the end of a lake and have high winds frequently. These claim to be roof mountable and have some kind of "Blade Tip" technology.

Sooo    Does anyone know anything good or bad about these?

Rob

mobile_bob

save your money, is all i can say
these things have been the topic of discussion on the windpower forums some time ago, and the consensus
is that honeywell allowed their name to be attached to a less than acceptable product that was over hyped.

unless they are very inexpensive and you don't expect much, then maybe you won't be disappointed,,

btw, never mount any windgen to your house roof, you won't be able to tolerate the noise and vibration.

bob g

wrightkiller

Honeywell Wind Turbine to be Sold at Ace Hardware Stores for $4,500.......

:o :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::)OUCH!!!!!!!!  NOT ON MY HOUSE>>>>>> :P

Carlb

I don't know anything about the honeywell turbine but i do have a Skystream 3.7 on a monopole out back and I can tell you that if you attached it directly to the house you would have to leave the house when the wind blows.
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

mobile_bob

a 6' turbine of any type will not produce a significant amount of power for a family home, a cabin? maybe?

not unless it is running at this units max wind speed of 40mph will a turbine of that size make any substantial amount of power.

apparently honeywell, the manufactures and those associated with sales of this particular unit are unaware of things like the "betz limit",
the square and cube laws of wind power generation and a few other issues that limit the amount of power from a small machine.

a 6ft machine is seen as note much more than a toy, and not something that is going to offset  you power bill by a meaningful amount, meaning it will never pay for itself.

they talk about its ability to make power at 0.5 mph? ya right, at that windspeed there is no way it makes much more than it takes to light up an led let alone something useful in a house, and at the recommended 10-12mph windspeed i would be surprised if it can make 500watts max.  a site that has 10-12mph windspeeds a significant amount of time per year is an outstanding wind site.

at 5mph i would be amazed if it could produce 50 watts.

they talk about there unit using no power robbing gear box?  good for them, however there are no sub 15ft models from any manufacture that use a gear box that i know of, and certainly none in the 6ft diameter market. there is no power robbing gearbox
because the machine can't produce enough power to overcome "any" additional loading.

the hype behind this machine is near criminal in my opinion, any federal tax breaks, state tax breaks are just plain irresponsible use of tax dollars, and when someone finally figures this out the industry will be damaged irreparably by this product.

4500 dollars?  what a bunch of crap

please if anyone here is contemplating purchasing one of these, do a lot of research first, don't take their ad copy as fact, and don't believe me either, do  your own homework.

don't be taken, and don't let tax money to be spent supporting this sort of thing.

bob g

wrightkiller

OOOPPPPSSSSS    THIS IS FROM the northern tool site ..I got the price wrong  :o :o :o :o ;D ::) ::)

Submit an image Honeywell Wind Turbine with Blade Tip Power System, Item# WT6500 Item# 385488
Only $6,399.99
Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Qty  
        Temporarily Backordered —
ships in 8 to 15 business days

Ships Truck (Ship Weight: 285.0 lbs)
This item has special unloading requirements.
This item is shipped via "truck freight" (common carrier or flat-bed, not UPS). Truck freight companies do NOT require their drivers to unload shipments. An additional "Lift Gate" fee will apply if the driver unloads the merchandise. The shipping carrier will call and schedule delivery, at which time, you may request a "Lift Gate" (provided the weight and dimensions of the product fits the criteria for lift gate service) and arrange payment with the carrier for that service.

Customer Product Rating

Be the first to write a review
Share this Product:     Have A Question About This Product?
4 Questions | 4 Answers
Read All Q&AAsk a Question
Answer a Question
 Add to Wish List
Email a Friend