News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Adjusting injector pressure

Started by veggie, November 03, 2010, 08:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricator

It would be pretty simple to build a pop tester with the proper parts, you can get high pressure fittings from welding supply stores, as well as plumbing supply houses and McMaster Carr online, it aint rocket science.

carbon-rod

do you have a suggestion for a good & cheap high pressure pump?

rcavictim

Quote from: carbon-rod on January 04, 2012, 01:09:16 AM

Chinese fire department.  :D  Sorry.  Was this thing turned on?
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

carbon-rod

dieselgman

The pop testers use the same basic pump element and delivery valve found in the engine injection pumps. Those parts or pumps are not too expensive... still much better to buy a factory designed tester that is efficient and safe.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

fabricator

Quote from: carbon-rod on January 04, 2012, 01:09:16 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bottle jack, small ones are rated at five tons, that is a lot of hydraulic pressure a large safety factor, the problem was not with the pump, but the low pressure fittings attached to it.

carbon-rod

ahh ok, I thought it was leaking due to pressure or something...  bottle jack is a perfect place to source cheap hydraulics from!... they sell trolley jacks for like 30 bucks here thank you china!

BruceM

I made a pop tester with a grease gun and hydraulic fittings.  For safety I use warm vegetable oil for testing, but you must put petroleum oil through it before storage or the pump seals will fail.  The two flex hoses are grease gun hoses- rated high enough to be safe.

carbon-rod

that looks great Bruce! the grease gun doesn't have any issue with that pressure? awesome

BruceM

The grease gun I used was rated nearly 1000 psi above the desired pop pressure. They are handy as the fittings are standard 1/8 NPT.   A good sized fluid filled pressure gauge is needed, but the fancy marker ones are not.  This was NOT my idea and I'm sorry I can't remember the source; I think it was on a older MB diesel forum.  It was very easy to put together, and quite cheap. I sure appreciate the inventor!