S195 Helical Cut Gear Set? We will find out!

Started by Henry W, August 25, 2010, 10:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

S195 Helical Cut Gear Set? We will find out!
If they are, they will most likely be tested A.S.A.P. to see how they work to quite down the mechanical noise. If they work out and if anyone is intrested in a set PM me.

Henry

mobile_bob

well i got contact with the manufacture, and he is to forward my request for info on a set for the s195
to whomever can aide in getting a set sent out to me.

as long as they are not prohibitively expensive, i am game for a set!

bob g

vdubnut62

Ya'll think these will cut down on a lot of the thrashing and rattling? Be damned if the Xing Dong doesn't sound like it's about to come apart,
but most of it is just Diesel knock. (I think)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Henry W

I keep forgetting to reply back here. Bob is working on it. He did contact someone.

Henry

mobile_bob

here is what i have found out so far, and it isn't much

they gear sets are available, however
there seems to be some issue with their use relating to damage to a bushing?

i have no idea which bushing, or what might be done to keep it from being damaged
or how it is damaged (either in use of upon installation of the gearset)

the chinese fellow is quite helpful, but he and i have a language barrier

he is not able to relate to me what the issues might be, so i have left it on back burner for a while, mainly
because the spur cut gears don't have a history of failure that i am aware of and they seem to work just fine
so maybe we need to work on sound attenuation first and see how that works out before moving to helical gears.

another issue with helical gears is one of thrusting, i have some concern about this as it relates to the countershaft brgs
used in these engine's, apparently there is an issue with the oem brg longevity as it is with spur cut gears that do not
thrust, and i am concerned that thrust is likely not going to improve the longevity of those brgs.

given the cyclic nature of the countershafts, that pounding and then thrusting afforded by helical gears might well take out
a set of countershaft brgs in short order.

until i have time to open my engine up and take a look at the countershaft brgs, and see if a brg is available that is of first world
quality and capable of taking some thrusting, i am not sure i want to risk serious damage to my engine messing around with an experimental gear set.  and i sure don't want to be involved with damaging anyone else's engine either.

i suspect their are variants of the engine in china that use the helical cut gears, if this is the case perhaps if found we could determine
if they are using a different brg, bushing that is affected or other stuff like casting bosses and thrust washers.

at this point personally i want to explore two things futher

one is sound attenuation, with close fitting insulated shields as typical of other automotive applications, and

two, is altering the oil system for bypass filteration, with the filtered oil being readmitted back into the gear train
so that the oil is carried through the various gears.

i am of the belief that one or both of these things will quiet the issue with gear noise typical of the chinese diesels

bob  g

vdubnut62

I have been playing with the oil filter thing myself, I have a late 40's early to mid 50's GM cartridge type filter that I am looking to plumb into the oil line somewhere, gotta find out a little more about the 1100 oiling first though. I like your idea of returning the cooled filtered oil through the gears, but from here I am afraid of starving the head and rocker arms, although I suspect they require very little oil.
Too many projects and not enough time.
Ron